Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction set in the 1920s

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Historical Fiction set in the 1920s

Post by Divia » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 4:39 am

I live this time period. The clothes, the naughty things that were going on..women finally being able to break out and test the waters. But it seems like there are so few novels about this time. I read Gatsby's Girl this year. Can anyone thinkg of another novel set during the 1920s from a female pov?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:02 am

I remember reading a book called Silver Wattle by Belinda Alexandre that is set in the 20s. She is an Australian author though, and the book is set in Australia. Not sure how available it is elsewhere.

I also read a series of mysteries that are set in Australia in the 1920s and you definitely get a feel for the era in those. The sleuth is a female as well. It is the Phryne Fisher series of mysteries by Kerry Greenwood. I know that some or all of the books in this series is available in the US.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 2:54 pm

Divia, after medieval times, this is my favorite era (actually I'd go back to pre WWI, then through the 20s). I love silent movies, I love the clothes, the art and so much more. There is a new non fiction book about the time period that looks intriguing:

http://www.amazon.com/Flapper-Madcap-Ce ... 001&sr=1-1

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 5:07 pm

Patrick Neate's "Twelve Bar Blues" a novel about jazz music.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1741108.stm

I enjoy Kerry Greenwood's Prynne Fisher series as well.

Although they're not actually historical fiction , I still have fun reading Agatha Christie's Miss Marple and Poirot mystery series, and the work of authors like Evelyn Waugh and Dorothy Sayers.
Last edited by annis on Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Duplication

Caveowl
Scribbler

Post by Caveowl » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 7:07 pm

"Tisha" - set in Chicken, Alaska in 1927: Not a novel, but extremely well received by library patrons.

Also, some of the novels by Ellen Glasgow, perhaps "Barren Ground."

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 7:31 pm

Hi Caveowl, I remember reading "Tisha" many years ago- an inpirational story.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun November 23rd, 2008, 8:17 pm

Anna Davis's The Shoe Queen is set in 1925 Paris, and Caryn James's What Caroline Knew takes place in Jazz Age Manhattan. If you liked Gatsby's Girl, you may like both of these too.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 11:17 am

This is one of my favourite periods, but doesn't seem to be much in style at the moment.

Some good ones I've read in the last couple of years have been:

A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle (set in Ireland covering the period from the Easter Rising in 1916 to the early 20's)

Jacqueline Winspear's terrific "Maisie Dobbs" mystery series (set in the late 20's/early 30's but usually rooted in events from WW1):
Maisie Dobbs
Birds of a Feather
Pardonable Lies
Messenger of Truth
An Incomplete Revenge

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 1:36 pm

Oh, Thomas Mallon's Bandbox is set in the 20s. Its a comedy of errors set around a popular magazine. Really quite fun; reminded me of Dawn Powell's novels of the 40s in terms of evocation of the time period, and the sense of humor.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue January 13th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Just saw a new release at the library called (?) 'The House at Riverton'. IIRC it takes place in England in the 20s and 30s in a grand estate with some romance and mystery thrown in. It looked interesting!

Return to “20th Century”