Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

Susan
Bibliomaniac

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

Post by Susan » Fri May 15th, 2015, 1:32 am

Children's author Judy Blume will have an adult novel, In the Unlikely Event, out in June 2015 about a series of plane crashes in her hometown of Elizabeth, NJ where I teach, so historical fiction. In fact, one of the crashes just missed the school where I teach (now a K-8 school), which was a girls high school at that time attended by Judy Blume. Blume was at my school today. Elizabeth is very close to Newark Liberty Airport. I can see planes coming in for a landing from my classroom.

From Amazon: "In 1987, Miri Ammerman returns to her hometown of Elizabeth, New Jersey, to attend a commemoration of the worst year of her life. Thirty-five years earlier, when Miri was fifteen, and in love for the first time, a succession of airplanes fell from the sky, leaving a community reeling. Against this backdrop of actual events that Blume experienced in the early 1950s, when airline travel was new and exciting and everyone dreamed of going somewhere, she paints a vivid portrait of a particular time and place..."

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.s ... ely_e.html

Photo below show the plane wreckage with my school in the background.

Last edited by Susan on Fri May 15th, 2015, 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri May 15th, 2015, 8:33 am

That sounds terrifying.

Also, I devoured all Judy Blume's books for teenagers when I was younger, and I've been meaning to check out her adult books for a while, so will probably give this a whirl at some point.

Seriously though, terrifying.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri May 15th, 2015, 9:28 am

It does sound terrifying, especially when the setting is someplace I go every school day. I walk past that place in the photo every day. I am really excited to read it!

Here's Judy Blume (she looks great for having graduated high school in 1956) standing in front of her high school where I now teach (it's a K-8 school now) with my language arts (English) supervisor on the left and my principal second from the left.

~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 31st, 2015, 11:53 pm

I just found out from the article below that the main character of In the Unlikely Event is a student at the middle school where I used to teach. That's where Judy Blume went to junior high (as it was called back then). Blume went to the all girls high school at the school where I now teach, but it's now a K-8 school and her old junior high is now a high school.

'I'm not doing this again': Judy Blume's final novel for adults revisits Elizabeth air tragedies
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun May 31st, 2015, 11:58 pm

Creepy that I walk by the place where the plane crashed every school day.

How three planes crashed in three months in Elizabeth in '50s
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon June 1st, 2015, 2:07 am

Now that sounds interesting! I too read Judy Blume when I was a teenager--she's been writing a loong time. Must check this out.

Return to “20th Century”