Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

WWII French Resistance - Female lead character

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon June 29th, 2009, 3:33 pm

I knew there were more...

Night Sky by Clare Francis. A woman in the resistance is one of three central characters who interact in the main plot.

Fall from Grace by Larry Collins. Published about 25 years ago, very good, revolves around an Englishwoman in the SOE just ahead of D-Day. Gripping, chilling.

Both I would highly recommend.
Last edited by Chatterbox on Mon June 29th, 2009, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: brain mould caused error in book name...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon June 29th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Sorry I missed this. Not French resistance but see if you have Rosalind Laker's This Shining Land. It's based on the Norwegian resistance movement against Nazi occupation. If I recall her husband was involved in the movement as well.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Tue June 30th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I grew up on the exploits of 'Mamzelle X'. I think she was a character in Mandy or Bunty - one of the girls' comics in the 1960s. Does anyone else remember her?

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed July 1st, 2009, 10:54 am

[quote=""Eigon""]I grew up on the exploits of 'Mamzelle X'. I think she was a character in Mandy or Bunty - one of the girls' comics in the 1960s. Does anyone else remember her?[/quote]

I remember a story about a girl in the French Resistance in one of those comics - schoolgirl by day, spy and secret agent by night. Seem to remember she had some sort of cat-suit that allowed her to climb up walls, and she did things like steal top secret documents from the German commander's safe and take photographs of plans for V2 rocket launchers. I can't remember her name, though.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Fri July 3rd, 2009, 11:51 am

That was her!

cookie
Scribbler

Post by cookie » Tue September 15th, 2009, 3:37 am

Thank you for all the great suggestions... very much appreciated.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu December 16th, 2010, 9:45 am

I just read Jackdaws! What sort of book makes you think that you could have written a better one yourself!

Return to “20th Century”