Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

WWII Fiction

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 12th, 2012, 4:16 pm

I'm currently reading Omamori by Richard McGill. Barely over 100 pages in, but it's a very promising start. Begins in the 1930s and centered around a third generation business partnership between American and Japanese family. Silk trade is suffering after the depression, but they're getting into making parachutes to sell to the Germans, and a German couple is being worked into this new partnership. Also a love match that can never be between the American partner's young son and the Japanese partner's young daughter. Big thumbs up to the author for using a business dinner and dialogue to set up the background of what's going on with Hitler's rise to power and policies, especially with a character that is Jewish born, but raised Protestant.

I see tons of drama ahead. The cover is ugly as sin, but look what's in the step back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mark Evans

Onamori

Post by Mark Evans » Tue August 28th, 2012, 8:35 am

Hi

Sounds like could be an interesting read. I agree about the cover - awful. Looks like something cheap and trashy form the 1970s. How on earth did the publisher allow that to go to print?

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Thu September 20th, 2012, 1:27 pm

One of the most savage novels of WWII is `The Cauldron' by Zeno. It is based on his experiences as a paratrooper at Arnhem and some say that there is very little fiction in it. I agree. It isn't for everyone, but it is my favourite WWII novel.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Sat May 25th, 2013, 2:07 am

Has anyone else been reading the Maggie Hope series by Susan Elia MacNeal? It starts with Mr. Churchill's Secretary. The latest is The King's Hope. Spy/detective fiction with a lot of twists and turns. I like them so far.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

klang
Scribbler

Let's get this thread going again.

Post by klang » Thu February 12th, 2015, 2:46 am

I am a new member who is especially interested in reading good novels that take place between 1930 and 1950. . . World War II era. It looks like this thread has died out and I hope to revive it.

A few books I have recently read are:

Bliss, Remembered by Frank Deford - The 1936 Olympics in Germany are the setting for a love story and a spy thriller with excellent plotting and great characters.

City of Women by David R. Gillham - Sigrid seems a typical German housewife, struggling to make ends meet during the war while her husband is on the Eastern Front but when she falls in love with a Jewish man she meets at the movie theater, her life takes a dramatic turn. Excellent writing that reflects the Sigrid's always fascinating perspective.

Ostland by David Thomas - Based on a true story, Ostland tells its story in two time frames. 1959 to 1963 Berlin is the setting for an important trial of a group of ex-SS officers facing war crimes charges. Contained in that framework is the story of one of the defendants, George Heuser, a homicide detective who becomes a mass murderer of Jews in the Latvia during the war. The novel is a portrait of the degree to which a man can change from good to evil in the name of advancement and survival.

Return to “20th Century”