Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is your favorite World War Two Novel?

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue March 9th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I'll add in op's 'Night of Flames'. 5/5 for me! Each short chapter is told thru a different character's (and, thus, different story) voice. Exciting and action oriented novel about invasion of Poland, liberation of Antwerp, and resistance groups' help in those two countries.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Wed March 10th, 2010, 12:23 am

Too many to count, really...

The Wouk novels and Mila 18, although I like very little of either author's other work, oddly enough.

The Guernsey literary/potato peel society novel with too long a title...

Larry Collins wrote a good thriller about the SOE, Fall from Grace.

For the Pacific theater: A Town Like Alice; also John Toland's two books, Gods of War and Occupation.

Some of Nevil Shute's other books, like Pied Piper.

Murray Davies, The Devil's Handshake and (alternative history) The Collaborator.

The Allan Furst novels set in France during the early years of the Occupation.

Non fiction: The Nightmare Years, by Shirer; A Life in Secrets by Sarah Helm; Villa Air-Bel by Rosemary Sullivan; The Past is Myself by Christabel Bielenberg. A definite tilt toward ordinary lives in the war and away from the military history dimension.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed March 10th, 2010, 1:19 pm

catch 22 comes to mind.

And "king rat" by James Cavell. A great account of a japanese POW camp in Singapore.

Mark Evans

WWII Novel favourites

Post by Mark Evans » Tue August 28th, 2012, 8:56 am

I think its difficult to have a favourite book in any genre as reading preferences depend so much on one's mood but as good books I would nominate:

The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw

From the city, From the plough Alexander Barron

The Human Kind Alexander Barron

Last Citadel David L Robbins

klang
Scribbler

Post by klang » Thu February 12th, 2015, 2:53 am

On the top of my list, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Most recent, Ostland by David Thomas

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Fri February 13th, 2015, 1:59 am

[quote=""parthianbow""]so strictly speaking, it's not a novel. However, The Forgotten Soldier, by Guy Sajer, is one of my top 3 reads of all time.

Written by a half-French (hence the name), half-German man, it tells the story of how he, without speaking a word of German, was conscripted into the German army aged 17 (:eek :) , and sent to the Russian front. Needless to say, he survived the war, and his account of the war and is the most compelling I've ever read.

I rate the book so highly that I've bought countless copies and given it to people.[/quote]

Wow Parthianbow - that sounds so similar to a memoir my friend is just about ready to publish on Amazon about her father who was an American boy living in Germany during WWII who fought in the German army on the Russian front. He later made it back to the US & ended up serving in the US Army.

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Fri February 13th, 2015, 2:03 am

Haven't read that many World War II books, but I liked Ken Follett's Century trilogy which includes Winter of the World - the middle book about WWII. I also liked his Jackdaws about a group of female operatives who parachuted into occupied France before D-Day.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri February 13th, 2015, 3:30 am

How could I forget Follet's Key to Rebecca? the first one by him I read.
And then, in the memoir category, George Fraser's Quartered Safe Out Here, about his participation in the Burma campaign.
When I was a teenager, I read another memoir from that area, Three Came Home, about an expat family in Borneo's time spent in a Japanese prison camp. It has stuck with me these many years.

I have a hard time thinking of WWII as 'historical fiction' -- my father (b 1916) fought in the Pacific campaign, and my Mom (b. 1915) held the fort at home, doing daycare for other women who worked at Lockheed building planes. Stories of the war were part of my childhood.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri February 13th, 2015, 1:26 pm

Ive read tons of these books; the latest read was one of my top ten faves last year: All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr. In fact thinking about it, its probably among the top novels I have read that take place in WWII.

red805
Avid Reader

Post by red805 » Sat February 14th, 2015, 1:23 am

[quote=""Ash""]Ive read tons of these books; the latest read was one of my top ten faves last year: All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr. In fact thinking about it, its probably among the top novels I have read that take place in WWII.[/quote]

Oh boy! I just bought that. Can't wait to read it after all the top however many lists it's made.

Return to “20th Century”