Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"The Rise of the Saxons"

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 8:37 am

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have this question.

Would it be correct to still speak of a 'Saxon' in the early 11th century, or has the pure Saxon disappeared by then to become the Anglo-Saxon? Hope someone could help me on this.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri December 3rd, 2010, 10:35 am

I could be wrong, but I suspect they were called the English. When I went to study Anglo Saxon at night school the course was called 'An introduction to Old English.' Saxon seems now to be being replaced with Englisc (English) in educational circles. Anglo Saxon hangs on, but English seems to be growing in strength as an appellation.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Shield-of-Dardania
Reader

Post by Shield-of-Dardania » Fri December 31st, 2010, 3:11 pm

Thanks, EC2. I guess the Angles, or the Anglii, had more or less assimilated the Saxons into their own tribes by then, hadn't they?

I have this young Saxon girl slave in Byzantium in my draft novel 1 story, and also a cameo appearance by a Saxon adventurer, and the time was like around 1009 - 1010 AD. I don't know yet now if I want to keep the Saxon name. But I like it, it has some sort of romantic appeal for me.

There's the Saxon longbow as well, which features rather strategically I think, in my story.

Cadwalladr
Currently reading: Claudius the God
Interest in HF: The medieval period and knights. Largely interested in ancient history and even proto-history.
Favourite HF book: I, Claudius
Preferred HF: Antiquity, Early Medieval

Re:

Post by Cadwalladr » Sun May 14th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Carla wrote:With regard to the history, there essentially isn't any. Nothing is known for sure about Hengist and Horsa, not even if they really existed.
He's mentioned in three different sources (the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, the Finnsburgh Fragments, and Beowulf), which is more than plenty of people accepted as historical.

Return to “Early Medieval (until about 1000 A.D.)”