Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Khazars

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Khazars

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 24th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Anybody know of any fiction concerning the Khazar empire? Hard to imagine such an interesting and important nation can't have been fictionalized by some interested author. It seems there should be a wealth of material there. As one of the only peoples to urbanize on the steppes at that time, they were original to say the least. From the early interaction with Byzantium, and as one of the most tolerant societies of the time. Their successful wars with the Arabs, which also kept Arab armies from being able to attack Constantinople from two directions. Their peaceful conversion to Judaism makes them quite unique and original. Then their destruction and possible integration into East European Judaism. It just seems there should be a wealth of material for writers.

The only book featuring Khazars that Ive read was Turtletaub's "Justinian".

Especially with more recent discoveries showing just how much influence the Khazars had on the era, such as the Khazar coin turning up in the Viking horde in Sweden which had Hebrew inscriptions on it, as well as a general lack of info on them, then I think the Khazars deserve some good fiction.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sat March 24th, 2012, 4:27 pm

There's "Dictionary of the Khazars" by Milorad Pavic. It's fiction, not a dictionary.
I started reading it when it came out 20-odd years ago but I was travelling at the time and my suitcase with it in it got stolen and I never got round to re-acquiring, so I can't really tell you if it's any good.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 24th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road is a fun read- inspired by the pulp fiction adventures of the early 20th century. Features Khazars and Vikings.

This book was originally published in serial form, and can be read online here, where you can also find a list of other fiction featuring Khazars (which I haven't read, apart from Rob Low's Oathsworn books which only feature Khazars incidentally).
Last edited by annis on Sat March 24th, 2012, 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat March 24th, 2012, 9:17 pm

The only thing I have ever read on them was Arthur Koestler's book which was called either The Lost Tribe or The Twelfth Tribe. Although I think it is now considered much discredited. But I read that years and years ago.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Early Medieval (until about 1000 A.D.)”