Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Abelard & Heloise

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:55 am

Ash, Abélard and Héloïse's son was named Astralabe. He lived to adulthood. According to Constant Mews, who wrote a book called "The Lost Letters of Abelard and Héloïse" it's not certain what happened to Astralabe. According to a mid-12th century document from Brittany (the province from which Abélard hailed and where he still had plenty of family) there was a canon named Astralabe at Nantes, and as it's an uncommon name that does seem like a possibility. See blog below:
http://actsofhope.blogspot.com/2007/04/ ... mised.html

I've also enclosed an article about Luise Riner's novel "Abelard's Love", which was written from the perspective of Astralabe.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 8th, 2008, 7:09 am

Daphne du Maurier did a retelling of the Tristan and Isolde/Iseult in Castle D'Or. DduM happens to be one of my favourite authors.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 8th, 2008, 7:33 am

And if you'd like a movie, Ridley Scott's "Tristan and Isolde" is full of Dark Age atmosphere and visually gorgeous. James Franco as Tristan is also visually gorgeous but acting abilities rather limited- he may have been working on his impression of the tortured hero nobly suffering, but looked more to me as if he was suffering from indigestion! Definitely worth a watch, though.

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Mon September 8th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering Stealing Heaven by Marion Meade and Iseult by Dee Morrison Meaney. I ordered them from Half.com and got both for $8.48, including shipping. I'm happy. The White Raven went on my reminder list for next time.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon September 8th, 2008, 11:55 pm

I have a photo of a sign marking their home near Notre Dame Catherdal that I took while on summer study aboard in Paris 4 years ago.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Mon September 15th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Abelard and Heloise, as well as Astrolabe, figure prominently in Sharan Newman's series of medieval mysteries (Catherine LeVendeur is the main character). They are secondary characters, but delightful all the same.

Return to “Early Medieval (until about 1000 A.D.)”