Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Abelard & Heloise

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Abelard & Heloise

Post by eclecticreader10 » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Can anyone receommend a fiction book about Abelard & Heloise? I saw a movie about them years ago and would love to read a novel. I'm also interested in Tristan and Isolde - an ideas here?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun September 7th, 2008, 6:41 pm

I've never heard of Abelard and Heloise - who are they?

As for Tristan and Isolde - there is a new book coming out in 09 about them. Here is the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Avalon-N ... EGK5AEPKX5

Also, Nancy McKenzie wrote one called Prince of Dreams. I have not read it yet, but I really liked her Queen of Camelot book about Guinevere. Rosalind Miles has written a trilogy, but I have read two of her other books and didn't care for them (although some people do).

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:09 pm

[quote=""eclecticreader10""]Can anyone receommend a fiction book about Abelard & Heloise? I saw a movie about them years ago and would love to read a novel. I'm also interested in Tristan and Isolde - an ideas here?[/quote]

I'm partial to Marion Meade's Stealing Heaven. Here's a link to the publisher's website.

My favorite novel about Tristan and Isolde is Diana Paxson's The White Raven, which is definitely not a traditional interpretation. It's told from the viewpoint of Brangwain (Branwen), Isolde's companion. Another good one is Iseult by Dee Morrison Meaney. The original editions of both novels, if you can find them (the Meaney was recently republished by Lulu) have gorgeous covers painted by Thomas Canty.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun September 7th, 2008, 8:10 pm

For Heloise and Abelard try Stealing Heaven by Marion Meade. I haven't read it myself, but I do know that it is one of my friends favourite books ever.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

eclecticreader10
Scribbler

Post by eclecticreader10 » Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Stealing Heaven was the name of the movie I saw. It never occurred to me that there was a book first. I'm definitely going to check it out along with The White Raven. Thank you so much

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:21 pm

Interesting, I didn't know there was a Stealing Heaven movie. I'll have to investigate.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:27 pm

That movie was my first introduction to the story of the two lovers, and what an introduction it was. Beautifully done, I'll need to see it again soon

Tan, Abelard was a brillant student of philosophy at the univeristy of Paris. Heloise was the daughter (mmm, niece?) of a wealthy merchant. They met and eventually became lovers, but they were soon caught. She had their son (who I always wanted to know more about). There was some legend about their graves, I suspect others know more than I do.
Last edited by Ash on Sun September 7th, 2008, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun September 7th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Eclecticreader and Ash, thanks for the info about the movie! I'm going to check out whether the local video store has a copy.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon September 8th, 2008, 12:29 am

[quote=""Ash""]That movie was my first introduction to the story of the two lovers, and what an introduction it was. Beautifully done, I'll need to see it again soon

Tan, Abelard was a brillant student of philosophy at the univeristy of Paris. Heloise was the daughter (mmm, niece?) of a wealthy merchant. They met and eventually became lovers, but they were soon caught. She had their son (who I always wanted to know more about). There was some legend about their graves, I suspect others know more than I do.[/quote]

Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the info.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon September 8th, 2008, 4:54 am

Ash, Abélard and Héloïse's son was named Astralabe (possibly Peter Astralabe). He lived to adulthood. According to Constant Mews, who wrote a book about called "The Lost Letters of Abelard and Héloïse" it's not certain what happened to Astralabe. Héloïse was apparently sent away to stay in Brittany with Abélard's sister when pregnant and delivered her child there. According to a mid-12th century document from Brittany (the province from which Abélard hailed and where he still had plenty of family) there was a canon named Astralabe at Nantes, and as it's an uncommon name that does seem like a possibility. I've seen it mentioned in other places that he followed his parents into the Church. See blog below:
http://actsofhope.blogspot.com/2007/04/ ... mised.html

I've also enclosed an article about Luise Riner's novel "Abelard's Love", which was written from the perspective of Astralabe.
Last edited by annis on Mon September 8th, 2008, 5:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Early Medieval (until about 1000 A.D.)”