Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

new theory on Dark Age Britain

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon April 6th, 2009, 1:12 pm

:D Very funny. What a great idea for a book, I'm jealous I did not think of it. That's a rip-off of the archaeologist Schliemann's wife wearing the treasure he dug up at Hisarlik in Turkey - Troy.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Thu March 25th, 2010, 10:44 am

This sounds very interesting. Of course the conflict can't have been delineated neatly between Brtons and Saxons....so Britons would have been fighting each other.I have to agree with people above who wrote we should combine the written sources and the archeological evidence to be able to make sense of this complicated and fascinating time.
Jules, I have already mailed you, since I would love to read the entire article. Does anybody have any tips for books about this period?

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu March 25th, 2010, 11:19 am

[quote=""enelya""]This sounds very interesting. Of course the conflict can't have been delineated neatly between Brtons and Saxons....so Britons would have been fighting each other.I have to agree with people above who wrote we should combine the written sources and the archeological evidence to be able to make sense of this complicated and fascinating time.
Jules, I have already mailed you, since I would love to read the entire article. Does anybody have any tips for books about this period?[/quote]

Ken Dark's book Britain and the End of the Roman Empire covers the fifth and sixth centuries in some depth and is very readable. Bear in mind that there are as many opinions as there are experts!
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

flicka
Scribbler
Currently reading: Testament
Interest in HF: I've been obsessed by history all my life and in particular with the Dark Ages and whatever reality there might be pertaining to King Arthur. I also like the Roman occupation period.
Favourite HF book: Wolf Hall
Preferred HF: Dark Ages
Medieval
Roman

Re: new theory on Dark Age Britain

Post by flicka » Sat July 13th, 2019, 10:06 am

I agree with Anne. There was a programme with Alice Roberts on a little while ago in which she sought to again say there was no archaeological evidence for any battles between British and Saxon armies. But armies in those days were not large - under a thousand by a long chalk, and a battle like that would have led to correspondingly fewer casualties, so going about expecting to find great bit piles of the dead just lying around is ridiculous, which is what she was citing.
I agree that the evidence is too widespread for it to have been fabricated back in the day to make the Saxons look better. Too many varied sources reference battles between the invading/settling Saxons for it to have been in someone's imagination.

Return to “Early Medieval (until about 1000 A.D.)”