Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Help! Need good HF book on Egypt

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed October 7th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Think I read The River God several years ago. And also one of the sequels.

Christian Jacq had a series about Ramses the Great. And a couple others as well.

Kallithrix
Scribbler

River God

Post by Kallithrix » Thu December 17th, 2009, 1:40 pm

OMG, did someone say they didn't finish River God?? I know everyone has their own individual taste but I thought that was one of, if not THE best historical novel I have ever read. I was so invested in the characters I felt emotionally drained by the end of it, which was hauntingly poignant and left me with the impression of it for weeks. I can very rarely say that about a novel.

I actually had to psyche myself up to read the sequel, Warlock, because I knew I wouldn't be able to put it down right to the end and it would leave me feeling wrecked and soul-weary afterwards - and it did. I have yet to attempt The Seventh Scroll (set in the modern era but involving the main character from the previous two) or The Quest because I'm totally chicken. I just KNOW he is going to kill his main character in the last book and I don't want to read it!!

Anyway, if anyone ever asks me to recommend a good historical novel about ancient Egypt, that's absolutely the one that leaps to mind. None of the many I've read before or since have been a patch on it.
Last edited by Kallithrix on Thu December 17th, 2009, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Mon July 11th, 2011, 5:15 am

[quote=""Divia""]So my mother got a hold Ms. Moran's books and loved them! She's wants Cleopatra's Daughter to which I said, mother it isnt not out yet. Well she got huffy with me like its my fault.

Anyway, she has always loved Egypt and she likes HF too (though not as much as me) Can anyone suggest a good HF book that takes place in Egypt?

I recommend Pauline Gedge's novels. And Brad Geagley has written two very good detective novels, Year of the Hyenas and Day of the False King, set during the Twentieth Dynasty.
Last edited by lauragill on Mon July 11th, 2011, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ancient”