Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Persia/Parthia

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 11th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Posted by Manda Scott
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to alert you to my own book - but it's not out yet, so few people have seen it...

Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth starts in Parthia and moves throughout the region as we head towards the loss of the Eagle and the attempt to recover it.

Out in May in Hardback and on Kindle.
Sounds good, Manda - I'll keep an eye out for it. Is the title a nod to Rosemary Sutcliff's Eagle of the Ninth?

Palmyra was a significant link between Rome and the Parthians, and there are several novels set around rebellions in Palmyra- Simon Scarrow's Centurion and Nick Brown's Siege: Agent of Rome are a couple that come to mind.

Everyone probably already knows about Jona Lendering's Livius website, but if not, it's a wonderful ancient history resource and particularly useful on Persia/Parthia and anything to do with Alexander the Great.
Last edited by annis on Sun March 11th, 2012, 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 14th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Just remembered a couple of novels based on Xenophon's Anabasis, about the epic trek made by Xenophon and the Greek mercenaries from Persia to the sea.

Michael Curtis Ford The Ten Thousand

Valerio Manfredi Massimo The Lost Army
Have to admit I'm not a fan of Massimo's work, which imo is invariably clunky. I initially put it down to the "lost in translation" factor, but it's so consistent it must be Massimo's own style.

Paul Kearney also wrote a novel called The Ten Thousand, which is directly based on the Anabasis, but in a fictional fantasy setting.

Other novels which feature gruelling retreats while running the gauntlet of hostile forces include Wallace Breem's The Leopard and the Cliff and Rosemary Sutcliff's Frontier Wolf.
Last edited by annis on Wed March 14th, 2012, 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Ancient”