Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Woman Who Would Be Pharaoh: A Novel of Ancient Egypt

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 5th, 2010, 12:26 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]HA!

I haven't read the book. Too many terrible reviews, the most illustrious one being from Misfit.[/quote]

:o :p :)

What drivel that was. Interesting to note that the author not only went after some reviewers with critical comments he went to another review of one of those reviewers and critiqued his review. http://www.amazon.com/review/R38ES2BEJO ... hisHelpful
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri March 5th, 2010, 12:39 am

Good lord is that ever pompous. Wow. *shakes head*

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sat March 6th, 2010, 12:01 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Good lord is that ever pompous. Wow. *shakes head*[/quote]

I know. Wow. I have Asperger's and I don't do that!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun March 7th, 2010, 6:21 am

I loved your Amazon review, Misfit- especially the bit about needing to go and wash out your brain with soap and water :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 7th, 2010, 1:41 pm

[quote=""annis""]I loved your Amazon review, Misfit- especially the bit about needing to go and wash out your brain with soap and water :) [/quote]

;) :)

I wasn't kidding either. Amazon reviews can be a bit limiting and I was able to go into more detail here at the Shelf of Shame.

Kallithrix
Scribbler

How does this drivel get published?

Post by Kallithrix » Mon April 12th, 2010, 1:53 pm

By a general concensus, this book is total dross. And from his childish response to criticism, the author is not only lacking in the required talent, but also the humility it takes to be a GOOD author, i.e. to get through the cycle of rejection and revision until the book is worthy of publication. So, as an aspiring historical novelist who has recently submitted her first manuscript to an agent, and been told it needs work, I was dying to know: how does stuff like this get published?

Then I looked at the front cover and saw just how cheap and amateurish it is - it looks like someone cobbled it together on photoshop and printed it out on their deskjet. It even has one of those awful CGI costume mannequins knocked up on 3D Graphic Designer.

So, I began to wonder.... Is this is a self published effort?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon April 12th, 2010, 2:41 pm

I seem to recall mention somewhere that it was a small *artsy* publishing house that has since gone out of business. Surprise.

Kallithrix
Scribbler

Post by Kallithrix » Mon April 12th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Well, I just read the first paragraph on Amazon, and although it's hard to be an impartial critic after all the discussion, I must say it sounds extremely dry and self indulgent, the sort of vanity project a dusty academic might consider embarking on after they've hung up their tweed jacket with leather elbow patches. I detect no storytelling ability, and no real flair for language either. If the plot is as bad as others have said, I'm hardly surprised the publishing house went under if this is the standard they have to offer!

Return to “Ancient”