Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Trojan War

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 19th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Another couple to add to the list are Kerry Greenwood's Cassandra, which covers the siege and fall of Troy, and its sequel Electra, which deals with the aftermath. Although I think Medea is the best of Greenwood's Delphic Women trilogy (soon to be reissued) these two are also vivid and original. Although very much of their time in their feminist perspective, Greenwood's novels are not wishy-washy tales at all, but full of blood, sex, squabbling gods and ancient mysteries.

As I said elsewhere, it's interesting to make a comparison with MZB' Firebrand, written around the same time, which is much heavier and more melodramatic in tone.
Last edited by annis on Tue May 21st, 2013, 3:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed May 22nd, 2013, 3:40 pm

[quote=""annis""]Another couple to add to the list are Kerry Greenwood's Cassandra, which covers the siege and fall of Troy, and its sequel Electra, which deals with the aftermath. Although I think Medea is the best of Greenwood's Delphic Women trilogy (soon to be reissued) these two are also vivid and original. Although very much of their time in their feminist perspective, Greenwood's novels are not wishy-washy tales at all, but full of blood, sex, squabbling gods and ancient mysteries.

As I said elsewhere, it's interesting to make a comparison with MZB' Firebrand, written around the same time, which is much heavier and more melodramatic in tone.[/quote]

I'm waiting for Electra to be reissued; it's on my TBR list.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 24th, 2013, 2:39 am

Electra is very much a continuation of Cassandra - Greenwood plays with the legend, changing the story so that while Cassandra is believed to have been killed with Agamemnon, in fact she escapes with the help of friends and goes on the run with Electra and her young brother Orestes.

Return to “Ancient”