Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

David Wishart vs Lindsey Davis

Kallithrix
Scribbler

David Wishart vs Lindsey Davis

Post by Kallithrix » Thu December 17th, 2009, 2:33 pm

I randomly picked up 'Sejanus' by David Wishart one day, for no better reason than because I liked the pretty mosaic cover, and have been hooked ever since. His more political novels about real historical figures (Sejanus, Nero, Germanicus) are by far the best, but the other Marcus Corvinus capers are still very well written and entertaining. So having developed a taste for Roman detective novels I then picked up Scandal Takes a Holiday by Lindsey Davis - and swiftly added it to my very short list of DNFs. It was similar in style and format, but inferior to Wishart's novels in every way (except for historical detail, which was just as good if not a little better) But Corvinus is a much more witty and interesting narrator than Falco, and the story far more engaging for it.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the comparitive merits of these two authors?

Stephanie Dray
Scribbler

Post by Stephanie Dray » Tue July 6th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Lindsey Davis is great, aside from her occasional obsession with sausages, but have you read John Maddox Roberts?
~Stephanie Dray
Author of Historical Fiction & Fantasy
Newsletter | Twitter | Website

LILY OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, January 2011SONG OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, Oct 2011
DAUGHTERS OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, Dec 2013

Doug
Scribbler

Post by Doug » Tue July 6th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I've not read Wishart (sounds like I need to though), though I've read all the Roman mysteries by Davis and Saylor. But I echo the recommendation of John Maddox Roberts, whose books I enjoy the most of the three.

Doug

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue July 6th, 2010, 9:50 pm

I haven't read any Wishart, but I've read and loved Davis' earlier Falco mysteries. The one you started is #16 in the series. It might help to read them in order and then you will understand Falco better. Here are the Falco mysteries in order: http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/publications.htm

I stopped after #6. Why did I stop? I don't know?
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Stephanie Dray
Scribbler

Post by Stephanie Dray » Tue July 6th, 2010, 9:54 pm

[quote=""Doug""]I've not read Wishart (sounds like I need to though), though I've read all the Roman mysteries by Davis and Saylor. But I echo the recommendation of John Maddox Roberts, whose books I enjoy the most of the three.

Doug[/quote]

Yes, the lighter touch of the SPQR series makes it my favorite of all the Roman mysteries!
~Stephanie Dray

LILY OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, January 2011SONG OF THE NILE -- Berkley Books, Oct 2011

stumpy
Reader

Post by stumpy » Mon July 12th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I have read all three authors and prefer the SPQR series.

Stephanie Dray
Scribbler

Post by Stephanie Dray » Mon July 12th, 2010, 7:43 pm

[quote=""stumpy""]I have read all three authors and prefer the SPQR series.[/quote]

We should start a John Maddox Roberts fan club ;)
~Stephanie Dray

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Fri December 17th, 2010, 11:47 pm

I'm not much of a mystery reader, but I enjoy Wishart's books.

Though his take on the Varus battle in Ovid is .... unusual. ;)

Maybe I should try Maddox, how does he compare to Wishart?

Return to “Ancient”