Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books that take place in Sparta?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Books that take place in Sparta?

Post by Divia » Sat April 25th, 2009, 3:37 pm

I enjoyed 300 and am currently reading Gladiatrix, which I am enjoying. The main character is a Spartan woman.

Their culture has me curious. I was wondering if anyone knows of other books that take place in Sparta with a female POV?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 25th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Jon Edward Martin has writtena series of books set in ancient Greece which are good. One of them is set in Sparta, though it's not written from a female POV particularly.
"Shades of Artemis"

There are a couple of self-published novels by Helena P Schrader at least one focuses on women's experiences:
"Are they Singing in Sparta?"
and its sequel. "Spartan Queen, Spartan Slave"

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sat April 25th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Not female POV, but Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield is a must-read. It covers some of the same ground as 300, but totally kicks it's a$$ :D

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun April 26th, 2009, 6:46 am

Pressfield's "Tides of War" is excellent as well- the story of Alcibiades, a brilliant Athenian warrior and commander who switched sides to fight for Sparta. (Again, not female POV)

Rosemary Sutcliff also covered Alcibiades' story in her moving novel "The Flowers of Adonis".

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun April 26th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Sorry only want to read about the female experience. Don't really care about the guys fightin in all that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Tue April 28th, 2009, 4:44 pm

`Spartan` by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

Much of it deals with the aftermath of the 300 and the Helot revolt,I really enjoyed it

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Fri September 30th, 2011, 1:44 am

I'm about halfway through "Island of Stone" right now, and some of it so far has been in a Spartan female perspective. I doubt the rest will be though.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Chiliarch
Scribbler

Post by Chiliarch » Thu October 13th, 2011, 8:51 am

I can recommend Helena P. Schrader's "Spartan Slave, Spartan Queen : A Tale of Four Women in Sparta".

You don't care about guys fighting? Why, that's one of my greatest joys - men in skirts YAY!

Return to “Ancient”