Emily and I are trying to come up with ways to make the forum more interesting, friendly and useful, and you may have spotted our most recent endeavour – the improved Profile descriptions that have been appearing under users’ avatars, at the side of their posts.
It is not mandatory of course, but if you would like to you can update your profile here, or click the second tab at the top of the forum (looks like a little person) if you're using the Latte style, or your user name if you're using the Blue style, click “User Control Panel” from the drop-down menu, then the second tab in here, “Profile”.
Suggestions for new fields and what should appear in user posts are welcome, but right now they are set as:
- Birthday – does not appear in posts
- Currently Reading – appears in posts
- Interest in HF – appears in posts
- Favourite HF book – appears in posts
- Preferred HF – appears in posts
- Location – appears in posts
- Interests – does not appear in posts
- Occupation – does not appear in posts
- Biography – does not appear in posts
- Website - appears in post through the little contact menu
- Social media (various) – appears in post through the little contact menu
As previously, your e-mail address will never be shown, but is hidden behind a contact form.
You can fill out as many or as few of these fields as you wish, but keep in mind that letting people know your HF preferences may help with book recommendations and encourage more conversation in general, especially with new users who may not know everyone so well yet.
These fields can also be updated at any time, so don’t feel that you have to stick with one favourite HF book for life, or never update your special interest!
What does everyone think? Do you have any suggestions or ideas?