Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Conversion to phpBB

Things you should know about Historical Fiction Online.
Ash
Bibliomaniac

Re: Conversion to phpBB

Post by Ash » Mon July 13th, 2015, 2:11 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:i always used to click the 'new posts' line when I open the forum. Where is the equivalent on this board?
use quick links on the upper left side (I had the same question, got the answer from Fred!)

Everything looks good! Guess chicken little (aka ash) was wrong :)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue July 14th, 2015, 9:58 pm

What prompted the move, anyway?

That's interesting... lol

FredQ
Technical Librarian
Currently reading: The Templars, Two Kings and a Pope
Interest in HF: I like how HF can fill in the gaps where we don't have enough information.
Preferred HF: Everything about the Knights Templars

Post by FredQ » Fri July 17th, 2015, 8:16 am

Rowan wrote:What prompted the move, anyway?
For the main reasons:
  • The version of vBulletin that was installed had serious security flaws allowing a user to be validated without the intervention of an administrator, which would ultimately end up by the board being flooded by spam.
  • The newer versions of vBulletin are quite expensive, and the users don't seem to be very happy with them. The version we had, version 3, was apparently their best.
  • It was quite difficult to use the board using a tablet or a smartphone
  • vBulletin is commercial, so we can't change its behaviour. phpBB is open-source, so it is possible to develop some new modules, like a book rating system, etc.

Return to “Site Announcements”