Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Facebook Group?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!

Should we create a Facebook Group for the forum?

Yes, I would join
65%
No, I would not join
12%
I don't do Facebook.
22%

Total votes: 49

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon December 21st, 2009, 7:27 pm

I'm learning facebook. I just joined, too.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 26th, 2009, 4:12 am

Ok I joined. After feeling much peer pressure from my cousins and family I decided to take the plunge. So I'm on. Although I'm not sure how anyone would find me. I'm still working it out.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 29th, 2009, 12:52 am

I'm still fumbling around this thing. People are offering me cookies n what not and I dont know what the hell that means.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue December 29th, 2009, 1:06 am

[quote=""Divia""]I'm still fumbling around this thing. People are offering me cookies n what not and I dont know what the hell that means.[/quote]

I turned off a lot of the Facebook applications for my own profile because they were just too time-consuming.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 29th, 2009, 1:07 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I turned off a lot of the Facebook applications for my own profile because they were just too time-consuming.[/quote]

hmmm. I wonder how I do that. :D

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Tue December 29th, 2009, 1:53 am

[quote=""Divia""]I'm still fumbling around this thing. People are offering me cookies n what not and I dont know what the hell that means.[/quote]

You can turn off some applications or simply ignore. Sometimes there's even an ignore button.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 29th, 2009, 6:20 am

Divia, I just discovered the 'hide' button. if you put the cursor in the blank space to the right of the post (about the top line) then the words 'hide' appear. If you click on this, then it will give you the option to hide any posts by the person, or just to hide all the notifications about what games they are playing and won't you join.

I also discovered that if you hide a person, you will still see any comments they post on the posts of people you have not hidden.

You can also go back and look at their site now and then to see what they are up to. I have a 15-year-old niece who posts five-ten times a day on the most trivial things, and she was filling up my wall. So I hid her, but once a week I check out her page to make sure something momentous didn't happen.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Tue December 29th, 2009, 11:22 pm

I've been sucked into Facebook recently which is why I haven't been here very much. But I would join a group there - as long as it doesn't interfere with my farming :rolleyes:
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue December 29th, 2009, 11:25 pm

[quote=""MLE""]Divia, I just discovered the 'hide' button. if you put the cursor in the blank space to the right of the post (about the top line) then the words 'hide' appear. If you click on this, then it will give you the option to hide any posts by the person, or just to hide all the notifications about what games they are playing and won't you join.

I also discovered that if you hide a person, you will still see any comments they post on the posts of people you have not hidden.

You can also go back and look at their site now and then to see what they are up to. I have a 15-year-old niece who posts five-ten times a day on the most trivial things, and she was filling up my wall. So I hid her, but once a week I check out her page to make sure something momentous didn't happen.[/quote]

ah! That's a helpful hint. THanks :)

So I've been on a few days and I'm still not seeing the draw here.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue February 2nd, 2010, 3:45 am

Well, in the last month I have reconnected with two friends from high school in Belgium IRL that I hadn't seen in decades -- we scattered and only reconnected thanks to FB. In both cases, spent a day together and ended up realizing that these are still people I would choose to be among my closest friends if I met them for the first time today -- but because I didn't, because we had some very formative experiences and memories in common, the bond is even stronger.

For me, that's the value of FB. I've had a peripatetic life, especially the first half of it, and FB enables me to catch up with people who really are caught up in day to day job stuff and raising kids and have little time to sit down and right snail mail letters or even long e-mails. Now, that may say something evil about society, but the world we live in doesn't provide us with lots of opportunities to sit down, be reflective and touch base with any but our two or three closest friends. And even then, most of that happens in person. So if you friends end up scattered across continents, it's hard to be in touch with their daily ups and downs -- and that's where FB comes in. Today's my b-day, and I've had FB greetings from about three dozen friends. They include: a friend who I've known since we were in elementary school in England, aged six, and who I probably wouldn't be in as active touch with as I am without FB as she's globetrotting running a new nonprofit group; several friends from HS in Belgium; friends from Canada in the 80s, both college and my first years of work; friends I've made by traveling and hosting people; friends I've made through work. It's being able to reach out and touch their lives and knowing that you can do the same with theirs. When I wonder, "how is x doing?" I don't have to take an hour out of my life to find out. I can to the FB page, discover that X's cold is better, or that they are in the dumps or whatever. If the latter, I can act on that by sending them a gift, picking up the phone, or whatever.

Like all technologies -- including boards like this and e-mail itself -- FB ultimately is what you make of it. If someone just plays Farmville, well, that's fine, but you're right, there's not much 'there' there. But there's potential for a lot more.

Return to “Site Suggestions”