Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A How-to Thread?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
rockygirl
Avid Reader

A How-to Thread?

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 13th, 2012, 3:25 am

I was thinking the thread could address questions like how to post photos and how to have that ending under the signature (which I would like to know)? Newcomers (and Lurkers) might have questions, that, if addressed, might make them more active participants. Just a thought.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed June 13th, 2012, 4:03 am

Good idea on the thread. Here's how to do the signature: click on 'User CP', the first option on the title bar at the (almost) top of the screen. The page it opens will have a list down the left-hand side of the page,k with major sections titiled "your profile' 'networking' and 'settings and options', which is the one you want.

The options there are 'edit avatar' 'edit signature' 'edit email & password''edit ignore list' and so forth.

Click on 'edit signature'. A box will come up that looks just like you are going to make a post. put in whatever text and links you want. I like to change my quote now and then, although the links to the causes I am passionate about never change.

If you keep scrolling down, you see an option to put in a signature picture. the first is from a website, like flickr or snapfish. the second gives you the option to download an image on your computer. I tested it by putting up my facebook avatar. Quite simple, although there is a limit on the file size.

Oh, you do have to hit the line that says, 'add picture to signature.' It's just to the right of the the picture box.

and there you go.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Wed June 13th, 2012, 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Wed June 13th, 2012, 11:37 pm

Cool! Thanks!
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu June 14th, 2012, 12:15 am

Ask away. To insert an image, click on the "Insert image" icon directly above the comment box. A small window opens up (if you have IE8 you may have to go through an extra hoop to confirm it's OK to open). Paste the URL for the image in the digalogue box.

To get the URL for a web image, right click on that image for properties, then highlight and copy the URL from the new box that opens up.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri June 22nd, 2012, 1:19 am

How do I post photos? I'm touring some Civil War sites next month and I thought some people here might be interested.
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Tue June 26th, 2012, 5:43 pm

You need to create an album first in your profile. Then upload pictures into it from your computer (make sure the width and height is about 600 pixels max.). Then copy the URL of the picture you want from your album (displayed below the picture when you click on it in the album). Create your post and click on the 'Insert image' icon above (the yellow one with the two little hills). A window will pop up asking you to enter the URL of your image: past the one you have copied into the text bar and click OK, and voila!

Ehrm...one final point: make sure you have no copyright issues with the pic in question before you post it. Better - and simpler - that way. ;)
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

Return to “Site Suggestions”