Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book of the Month?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!

What Shall We Do With the Book of the Month?

Poll ended at Tue February 15th, 2011, 4:35 am

Scrap it altogether.
13%
Keep it as is.
63%
Change to a bimonthly schedule (1 book every 2 months)
19%
Have a different member select the book each month; no nominating/voting
6%

Total votes: 16

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Sun February 13th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I would agree with those who have mooted choosing a book 2 months in advance. That way, I'd have some chance of reading it. Otherwise, it's quite unlikely. That will change, but not until small children have grown up a bit more!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun February 13th, 2011, 2:48 pm

I often vote in the BOTM poll, but I don't think I've ever actually read the book (or at least at the same time).
Partly, it's because the limited discussion is not a great incentive. If one could expect a lively discussion, then I would make time to fit the book in my reading schedule.

I would suggest much of what others have said. 1) Slow it down: to one book every two or three months. 2) Choose at least two months in advance (this is what happens in all my book groups and it pays off; the more time you give people to get and read the book, the more likely they are to read it and participate). 3) Have smaller shortlists (the winning book will have had a greater proportion of the votes). 4) Choose books currently in print in both the US and the UK, and elsewhere hopefully. 5) Choose current bestsellers (yes, this means little-known books won't get a helpful promotion, but this site already does a great job in raising the profile of such books. And bestsellers are more likely to be books that people are already wanting to read.)

Sorry, I know I have said little original. But I would actually implement all of the above.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun February 13th, 2011, 3:06 pm

I don't enjoy books about US history all that much but have been known to love one or two (City of Dreams, Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All...). So if you put it out there and its well written, its likely I'll at least try it. Im excited that we are reading Raven's Bride; its US history, but its aslo about one of my favorite writers.

BTW has anyone read Clara and Mr Tiffany? Its by Susan Vreeland, author of Girl in Hycinth Blue. I've been eyeing it for a while - I love Tiffany glass, and apparently Clara was the one who actually invented the lamps but never got credit.

I am very tired of the Tudors (yet I am thankful to have discovered Wolf Hall and Legacy), and tired of European novels. I would like to read more books that take place outside the 'western' world. Problem is that I don't know how many on this board want to participate in discussions of these book. Perhaps a poll for all readers, giving a list of HF options, to see what genres within the genres they'd like to discuss?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun February 13th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Divia, I wasn't putting you or Misfit down; I know you are both cheerleaders for your books. But here's the thing - lots of times people don't know why they should read a book, or have no idea where to start when discussing it. Perhaps if the person who nominated the book were to list what they enjoyed about a book. Or post some questions or issues from the book, to help people discuss them (something like the reading guides at the back of some books, but hopefully questions that are actually thought provoking and don't sound like a HS lit exam :)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 13th, 2011, 4:21 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]I doubt this is true - what about it, everyone? For myself, I'm a little burned out on Civil War/slavery novels, because I've read so many, and a lot of them have very similar story lines. But a lot more has happened in U.S. history![/quote]

Actually, I think its very true given that I can find countless US novels, but the majority of novels picked are European. It's not a knock against those on the MB. It is what it is. I'm just saving thats one reason I havent participated in BOTM. I dont want to read endless European novels.

[quote=""Ash""]Divia, I wasn't putting you or Misfit down; I know you are both cheerleaders for your books.[/quote]

I didn't think you were putting Misfit or I down. No worries. :) Iwas saying that we were cheerleaders but alas...nothing.

As said perviously. Perhaps we should only nominate books that are in the US and UK at the same time.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 13th, 2011, 5:39 pm

If memory serves, we did actually used to choose the BOTM two months in advance.

"Book Of Every Other Month" or "Book Of The Quarter" really doesn't sound that appealing.

Divia, I think part of the reason for the lack of US HF is that most of the HF published these days is set in Europe. I like reading US HF. I also like reading European HF and HF set in other parts of the world.

I actually thought about nominating Gone With the Wind for March, but decided not to based on the page count.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon February 14th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Moved the Gone with the Wind posts over to the movie section, in case anyone gives a damn. :o
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 14th, 2011, 6:04 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Moved the Gone with the Wind posts over to the movie section, in case anyone gives a damn. :o [/quote]

Lol, thanks yes I do give a damn. I'll mosey over there... ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon February 14th, 2011, 6:52 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Moved the Gone with the Wind posts over to the movie section, in case anyone gives a damn. :o [/quote]

Frankly, my dear, I'm LOL!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue February 15th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I enjoy discussing books with people, but I've also (unfortunately) discovered that I'm not very good at discussing them nor have anything particularly insightful to say. I also frequently feel conflicted about discussing books. It's almost a catch-22, discussing the books but trying to preserve and maintain one's own objective opinions without outside influences. I've been taking a step back lately, realizing these things about myself.

Return to “Site Suggestions”