Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Holiday Postcard Exchange?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Oh, Mt. Rainer isn't extinct and can still pop it's top, that's why they have warning alarms set up just in case.

SM[/quote]

Yes, and some of the schools even do Lahar drills with the kiddos.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri November 19th, 2010, 8:59 pm

I can participate... I'm flexible with regard to sending to other countries. I'm in Atlanta, so I could go with the obvious or not so obvious. Hmm...

Divia, I think you can buy postcard stock for color printers from office supply stores or even Target or Wal-Mart and do your own.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat November 20th, 2010, 3:14 am

[quote=""Michy""]Nope -- postage rates are the same all throughout the U.S., including Alaska and Hawaii. But the minute you mail to Canada, then it gets expensive (probably Mexico, too, although I've never mailed anything there and so don't know).

I don't mind paying overseas postage, so I'll exchange cards anywhere. :) [/quote]

I missed this earlier. I had sent postcards overseas with an exchange some friends and I did at Goodreads and the postcard is relatively inexpensive IIRC.

Yes, postage rates between states is the same no matter where it is going. It is easy to stick a stamp on a postcard in country, but outside of the US one needs to go to the post office for the correct postage.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat November 20th, 2010, 3:26 am

You can get it from the USPS website. I send stuff to my former daughter-in-law and granddaughter in Tokyo all the time, and that's where I always figure out the postage. In the case of packages, you can pay for it and print the label with postage too, and the postman will pick it up from your door up to 50 lbs.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

The Final List

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat November 20th, 2010, 11:57 am

Boswellbaxter
Misfit
Ash
MLE
Susan
SonjaMarie (within USA)
Divia
Vanessa
Wendy
Miss Moppet
LoveHistory (within USA)
sweetpotatoboy
Tanzanite
Ariadne
ejays17
Michy
Kveto from Prague
EC2
Ludmilla

Entries are now closed. Thank you everyone and I will get back to you asap, and by Monday at latest, with the list of who is sending to who...

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Sat November 20th, 2010, 12:15 pm

Thanks for organizing this. It brings the holidays that much closer!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat November 20th, 2010, 2:39 pm

In our city, they aren't closer, they are here! Been here since the day after Halloween. Our mall set up their Santa Village in days, advertising Santa appearing on Nov 13. Radio stations and some stores started playing holiday music (also known as 'the same 20 songs played by hundreds of different artists' Its this time of year when I bring my own music with me whereever I go) Im not a scrooge or a grinch, but gee, can we at least wait till the Tday turkey is out of the oven?

Anyway, yes, this will be fun - looking forward to seeing what everyone gets, and deciding which postcard I will want to send, mmmmmm

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat November 20th, 2010, 2:45 pm

[quote=""Ash""]In our city, they aren't closer, they are here! Been here since the day after Halloween. Our mall set up their Santa Village in days, advertising Santa appearing on Nov 13. Radio stations and some stores started playing holiday music (also known as 'the same 20 songs played by hundreds of different artists' Its this time of year when I bring my own music with me whereever I go) Im not a scrooge or a grinch, but gee, can we at least wait till the Tday turkey is out of the oven?

Anyway, yes, this will be fun - looking forward to seeing what everyone gets, and deciding which postcard I will want to send, mmmmmm[/quote]

Gawd, one of the local Classic Rock stations started playing Christmas music 24/7 over a week ago. A Classic Rock station. They just lost me to KZOK :mad:

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat November 20th, 2010, 2:54 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Thanks for organizing this. It brings the holidays that much closer![/quote]

You're very welcome, Wendy!

Plenty of holiday cheer in London. Decorations are up in shops and supermarkets, they are selling Christmas goods and the lights are on in Oxford St and have been for a bit (although not in the suburbs). The coffee shops are decorating too and have introduced seasonal menus. Of course we don't have Thanksgiving so once Hallowe'en and Bonfire Night are over, there's nothing really to wait for.

I wasn't feeling very Christmassy up till now but this week there has been a sea change and Moppet is now in mince-pie-mood.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat November 20th, 2010, 2:56 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Gawd, one of the local Classic Rock stations started playing Christmas music 24/7 over a week ago. A Classic Rock station. They just lost me to KZOK :mad: [/quote]

Seems a bit previous. We get Christmas music in shops etc from November on but the radio stations (at least those I listen to) usually lay off it until December at least and then don't play it 24/7 apart from the days right around Christmas.

Return to “Site Suggestions”