Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

book cache

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

book cache

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun August 29th, 2010, 12:36 pm

Im thinking as im typing here so bear with me.

I usually gather a cache of "to be read" books from suggestions from other posters on this site and from other places. Now I usually add them to my "save for later" on abe or amazon, etc so i dont forget about them. then every few months i send off for a gaggle of books to tide me over for awhile.

Just an idea, but similar to the reading lists, we could have a "to be read/purchased" list here. It would just help me out to have all of my books id like to read eventually in one place. Kind of a wish list to remind ourselves of books we are looking for (im sure most of us hae a system already) it would just be easier for me to have all of my HF wishes in one place.

just an idea. If this seems too much, i might just add this "wish list" to my reading list for this year.

as i said, i havent thought this out at all so it might be a pointless idea.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon August 30th, 2010, 4:00 am

I keep a list on my library's website, and also a shopping list on Amazon (for those few that aren't available through my library). It has worked quite well until today -- I logged onto my library account and there was a message that they were trying to solve some sort of problem, and so refreshed from a backup from August 1. So I lost 14 books on my list, and I'll probably never remember what they were. Oh, well, I guess that's one way to whittle down the TBR. :(

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon August 30th, 2010, 4:14 am

We can add such a feature.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon August 30th, 2010, 2:57 pm

s'ok. Ill add it to my reading list instead.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue August 31st, 2010, 12:44 am

Today I logged back onto my library account, and my entire list was back. :confused: Oh, well, I'm happy!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:34 am

Actually, this sounds like a good idea. Often you remember you liked the look of a something another member was reading but if you can't recall the author and/or title it's hard to find it again, given our copious "what are you reading" pages. If you could add titles to a "wish list" as you spot them it could be really useful.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat September 4th, 2010, 4:41 am

Plus, it could be lots of fun to browse other people's lists!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Fri September 10th, 2010, 1:35 pm

I usually keep a list on amazon, too. I really like this idea.

I also have a pile of books at home that I haven't gotten to yet, all on my TBR list. Near the top of the stack is The Book of Negroes and Daughter of York. Has anyone read these two?

Return to “Site Suggestions”