Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu August 6th, 2009, 8:00 pm

IMO, 'New Posts' don't stay visible as such long enough! Today, I posted something under 'Questions and Research' and it didn't last very long under 'New Posts' before it was shunted off to it's home thread!

As I really wanted Annis and Chatterbox to see the post as well as, of course, those who would be interested in the children of Llywelyn Fawr and Joanna, I was disappointed to see that my post had disappeared so quickly!

Would it not be possible to keep recent posts on the top page a little longer?? Otherwise, one has to rely on afficianados of a particular thread having to check out those threads that interest them on a regular basis, besides the daily updates!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 6th, 2009, 8:04 pm

I always click on new posts (see center of the blue bar above) and that shows me all the new posts.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Thu August 6th, 2009, 8:10 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I always click on new posts (see center of the blue bar above) and that shows me all the new posts.[/quote]

Me too! But the 'new posts' don't stay very long there!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 6th, 2009, 8:28 pm

I'll wait for BB and/or DL to pop in here, but just because it's not showing for you doesn't mean it is showing as new posts for Annis and Chatterbox. :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu August 6th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I think it only stays as a new post for your current visit to the board, but I am not 100% sure of that.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu August 6th, 2009, 9:27 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I think it only stays as a new post for your current visit to the board, but I am not 100% sure of that.[/quote]

I think that's correct, at least when they're viewed on the same computer. Sometimes I'll view new posts on my kitchen computer, and when I go back to my work computer later, they'll still show up as new.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu August 6th, 2009, 10:27 pm

It would be great if there were a way to call up a list of all posts made in the last 1 or 2 days - the search function might be adjusted so it doesn't require a keyword to do a search for such a short period of time.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 6th, 2009, 11:36 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]I think it only stays as a new post for your current visit to the board, but I am not 100% sure of that.[/quote]

Yes, that's been the standard for the message boards I have moderated.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 7th, 2009, 12:53 am

[quote=""Margaret""]It would be great if there were a way to call up a list of all posts made in the last 1 or 2 days - the search function might be adjusted so it doesn't require a keyword to do a search for such a short period of time.[/quote]
It took me a while to find this, but under 'quick links' (to the right of 'search') the top option on the list is 'today's posts'. That helped a lot, since I sometimes get the chance to scan all the new post,s and sometimes not, and they won't come up next time if I've already opened the site and closed it again.

Otherwise, Ken, an individual member can be gone a week, and hit the 'new posts' button, and it will give them a personalized list of every post that they haven't yet seen, regardless if it is old stuff to anyone else.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 7th, 2009, 2:11 am

It took me a while to find this, but under 'quick links' (to the right of 'search') the top option on the list is 'today's posts'.
Hell's bells, that's one I didn't know about. Thank you.

Return to “Site Suggestions”