Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Buddy reads forum?

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!

Do you think a Buddy Reads forum is a good idea?

Yes
73%
No
13%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 15

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed July 29th, 2009, 12:41 pm

Sounds an excellent idea. Doesn't need to be a large group read.
If you list the next couple of books you're planning to read, you only need one more person to agree to read it at the same time as you - and you've a buddy read going!

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Wed July 29th, 2009, 5:38 pm

I like that idea as well! I would definitely be interested in buddy reads. I have finished Company of Liars as well, but don't want to put any spoilers in the thread.
Andrea

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 31st, 2009, 6:52 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Buddy Read?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:01 pm

[quote=""annis""]Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Buddy Read?[/quote]

Lol, it's a good thing I'm sitting down, Annis always has the answer to everything :) ;) :p

Say for example Annis and I both wanted to read War and Peace at the same time. We could read a whatever pace we set and discuss sections of the book as we go along. King of a mini book of the month. I think there's a link in the earlier comments to a Goodreads buddy group, that might help.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 31st, 2009, 7:45 pm

Thanks, Misfit. If I'd ever got into Goodreads or Library Thing, I guess I would have known that! Sounds like fun, but I think I'm a bit of a lone wolf reader :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 31st, 2009, 8:06 pm

I'm a lone wolf myself for the most part. Moods change as quick as the current read.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri July 31st, 2009, 8:10 pm

I think it's a great idea! It's good for the review threads to be kept as spoiler-free as possible, I think, because people do look at them when they're thinking about reading a book and want to know if it seems like something they would like. It would be nice to have a place for a no-holds-barred discussion of books where people can talk about what they thought of an ending or a plot twist in the middle of the book and give specifics - the sort of thing that really does need to stay out of the review threads.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Return to “Site Suggestions”