Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Proposal for a "book of the month"

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat July 25th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Redsoldier, I wasn't offended by the suggestion - it's just that I get flooded with self-published novels offered for review at my website by authors who then get quite miffed by honest reviews, however tactful. It was just a little too easy for me to imagine what might happen here if we encouraged author nominations for BOM. Your nomination of a BOM book would probably go perfectly smoothly - but, believe me, there are other authors out there who leap at any opportunity to promote their books, and some can be quite crass. Since your experience is on the author end rather than the reviewer end, you might not be aware of the number of less-than-fully-professional authors out there who are willing to abuse the system. (Really a small minority of authors, self-published and otherwise, but it's the obnoxious ones a reviewer notices.)

As Boswellbaxter says, we do have Author Announcement threads, and like many of us, I do enjoy reading author's posts about a new book, a special promotion, etc.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Sat July 25th, 2009, 11:59 pm

Well I didn't say I was going anywhere, just that we might as well forget the idea for book of the month as the community doesn't feel it's in proper form. And no hurt feelings any way around either - hey, if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work and I can't fault anyone for that.

Hell, I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm throwing a fit and storming off like a kid throwing a temper tantrum. I'm in complete agreement with everyone else here - If it's in poor taste and won't work then that's agreeable and fine. Maybe I can find another way to rooker the Publisher into some sort of sale or something, we'll see what happens.

By and by, I did post in the author thread, and I did send out seveal books this last week to some folks, so we'll see what happens there. That, and I have been participating in the forums on a regular basis, when I can find time from my writing, as I'm currently writing two books. Always hopping for some honest reviews, as I work on these two new books I need to know what worked and what didn't in thr last one. I'll be seeing everyone around. thanks!~
Last edited by theredsoldier on Sun July 26th, 2009, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
WWII Eastern Front Action Novel
http://www.theredsoldier.com
Stalingrad, as only the Russian soldier could know... available now

Return to “Site Suggestions”