Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Proposal for a "book of the month"

Is there something you'd like to see on this site? Let the admins know!
theredsoldier
Scribbler

Proposal for a "book of the month"

Post by theredsoldier » Fri July 24th, 2009, 3:06 am

I realize that this may or may not be everyone's cup of tea, and likewise, I won't be offended if you collectively decide not to do this, however, I thought it would be a nice offer and a nice idea if you are interested.

I was thinking that if the members here wanted to choose my book, Snow and Steel, for an official book of the month read, I could arrange it with my publisher that you would be able to purchase the book at a significantly reduced price from the cover price, and further, that I would make a point making an appearance at the publishers and hand signing/packing all of the books myself. Perhaps I can see if we can throw in a little something extra as well?

Of course, this offer would only be good assuming that everyone elects to choose this book and is purchasing it for the book of the month, as I had discussed privately prior to posting this with our mod "diamondlil". These would be official off the shelf books just like you'd buy from barnes and noble, only hand signed by us and shipped directly to you from the publisher at a severly deep discount - saving you a few bucks on your monthly read.

For referance on the book, what it's about, the story, and yours truly, please feel free to check out the website;
http://www.theredsoldier.com/

And of course, I'm more than willing to entertain any questions, comments or concerns you might have, and I would also strongly encourage that any reviews, comments or thoughts on the book be your honest opinions - I'd hate to think I got good reviews simply for being a member or a posting friend here. I'd much rather have the truth. I cannot improve if I don't know what to look for, likewise I don't know what to keep unless I know what's good.

We'd need to arrange it as a "group buy" sort of thing, so that everyone can order thier book and we can have them all of the orders ready and shipped out in time for the first of whatever month you choose.

Let me know what you think everyone, and thanks for your time~
Last edited by theredsoldier on Fri July 24th, 2009, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
WWII Eastern Front Action Novel
http://www.theredsoldier.com
Stalingrad, as only the Russian soldier could know... available now

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri July 24th, 2009, 7:25 am

Perhaps if we made the theme of, say, November, Stalingrad or the Eastern Front, that might work. November was when Pavlov's House was relieved.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri July 24th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Or, more broadly, Russian HF set in the 20th century? Because there is also the Bolshevik Revolution that happened in November.

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Fri July 24th, 2009, 10:00 pm

any way you guys would like to cut it is fine with me!

In General, this is a way for everyone to get my book at a cheaper price wich will save everyone some cash on ther monthly book budget, and it gets me some honest feedback - win win for everyone I think, and I'd NEVER shy away from more Russian history.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri July 24th, 2009, 10:03 pm

You (or anyone else) are welcome to nominate it for Book of the Month, but whether it's chosen depends entirely on the votes of the members.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

theredsoldier
Scribbler

Post by theredsoldier » Fri July 24th, 2009, 11:19 pm

well, I did have this thread in the book of the month section, then it got moved here... Do I need to start another thread there?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri July 24th, 2009, 11:35 pm

[quote=""theredsoldier""]well, I did have this thread in the book of the month section, then it got moved here... Do I need to start another thread there?[/quote]

No. Each month Diamondlil posts a thread asking for Book of the Month nominations. If nominations are open to any book or if the theme fits your book, nominate it then.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat July 25th, 2009, 5:55 am

Um, I'm wondering if it's really appropriate for authors to nominate their own books for Book of the Month. If we encourage this, will we get swamped with self-published authors nominating their books? And I wonder whether we really want to introduce a financial element into the process of nominating Books of the Month. It seems to me that we want to select Books of the Month that participating members, as readers, feel excited about reading. If authors start providing their books at a discount (which could easily slide into free) as an inducement to us to select them as a Book of the Month, could we end up reading books we would not otherwise have selected? It seems that would be the whole point of an author offering a discount. I would suggest that we consider having a policy against any sort of financial inducement for selecting a book of the month, as well as a policy against authors nominating their own books. That doesn't mean we can't select a book by a member of the forum - just that it should be nominated by a member other than the author, and hopefully because the nominator genuinely wishes to read and discuss it on its own merits, not because the nominator has been asked to do it by the author..
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Sat July 25th, 2009, 7:15 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Um, I'm wondering if it's really appropriate for authors to nominate their own books for Book of the Month. If we encourage this, will we get swamped with self-published authors nominating their books? And I wonder whether we really want to introduce a financial element into the process of nominating Books of the Month. It seems to me that we want to select Books of the Month that participating members, as readers, feel excited about reading. If authors start providing their books at a discount (which could easily slide into free) as an inducement to us to select them as a Book of the Month, could we end up reading books we would not otherwise have selected? It seems that would be the whole point of an author offering a discount. I would suggest that we consider having a policy against any sort of financial inducement for selecting a book of the month, as well as a policy against authors nominating their own books. That doesn't mean we can't select a book by a member of the forum - just that it should be nominated by a member other than the author, and hopefully because the nominator genuinely wishes to read and discuss it on its own merits, not because the nominator has been asked to do it by the author..[/quote]

I totally endorse Margaret's point of view. I confess to having felt a little uneasy when reading the original post by theredsoldier.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat July 25th, 2009, 11:48 am

[quote=""Ken""]I totally endorse Margaret's point of view. I confess to having felt a little uneasy when reading the original post by theredsoldier.[/quote]

I agree 100% with what Ken and Margaret have said.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Site Suggestions”