Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Leyland
Bibliophile

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Post by Leyland » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 3:33 pm

I just finished The Host and recommend it to not only Twilight saga lovers, but anyone who enjoys fantasy fiction. Meyer’s imagination really surprised me with this novel as she skillfully wove world-building into a very contemporary American setting.

I don’t want to give any particular spoilers away so I’ll just discuss my impression of the novel. It could generally be described as a body-snatcher tale in the sense that an alien species has inserted itself almost entirely into the global human population except for pockets of hidden ‘wild humans’ yet to be rounded up.

Her alien protagonist is a sympathetic nomad with a very cool natural form from an Origin planet and eventually gets to tell wonderful stories to humans. Here Meyer creates some fantastic planet worlds and societies that are not so strange as to put me off with too much weirdness (for my tastes). Her main human protagonist is a strong survivor with a deep source of love for family and a fellow wild human that drives her to find them no matter what risk to her safety. These two protagonists become ‘inseparable’ at the beginning of the story and tell it in first person POV. All the supporting characters have distinct flaws and strengths that are shown through action in a very readable way.

This novel is not targeted for YA as is the Twilight series, but I still felt I was reading a style meant for YA. Meyer seems to use dialogue and short action sentences to drive the narrative in lieu of long descriptive paragraphs. I believe this style is customary for YA fiction to gain and keep interest and attention. That’s an observation from me rather than a criticism.

The most astounding part of the story for me is Meyer’s insight in human emotion and desire for maintaining a successful and safe sanctuary no matter what hard decisions must be made for the good of all. She conveys these elements very well and creates an amazing desert environment setting that is not totally unbelievable. I love the blend of sweetness and light with the brutal and vengeful. Into this emotional mix are quite interesting plot twists as she blends the species together.

I also felt her treatment in the story regarding human health and disease is an incredibly insightful look into our psyche. If you read the novel, you'll know the points when I felt strongly about Meyer's skill in transmitting so much emotion ranging from hope to helplessness.

I’m really hoping for a sequel!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun November 2nd, 2008, 7:48 pm

I am not a sci-fi reader normally, but I totally loved this book when I read it earlier this year. Meyer has said that there will be a sequel eventually as well!

My review can be found here
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue November 4th, 2008, 3:54 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I am not a sci-fi reader normally, but I totally loved this book when I read it earlier this year. Meyer has said that there will be a sequel eventually as well!

My review can be found here[/quote]

I scooped up a copy of Twilight today in a mass-market edition; I keep hearing rave reviews about the series, so I have it on backup when I start running out of novels this month. And The Host sounds interesting, as I am a SF geek at heart. Thank you both for very solid reviews, I'll be keeping my eyes open for this author's work.

Bobbi
Scribbler

Post by Bobbi » Wed November 5th, 2008, 11:49 pm

I loved this book, it was a little strange having a love quadrangle with only three people involved but I think she pulled it off brilliantly and I know this was meant for the Adult market but it still felt like a YA book to me. I thought she had left it open for a sequel and reading Marg's comment above it looks like it is going to happen. I will definitely give it a try when it comes out.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat September 19th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Just finished this tonight and I loved it. Five stars all the way. This can be read on so many levels. It's a novel that fearlessly tackles themes of prejudice, paranoia, our attitudes to others. How fear and ignorance breed violence and disgust, and how understanding brings compassion and friendship.
I really enjoyed Twilight, but The Host is on a whole other level.
One thing I would say though. I would bet my bottom dollar that Stephenie Meyer read Journey of Souls by Michael Newton, and perhaps Destiny of Souls too before she wrote The Host. Newton's book is a factual tome discussing our experiences of life between lives under hypnosis. Patients describe being souls and of human babies being hosts with which they bond by implanting in the child's brain and nervous system while in the womb. Some souls are inter-planetary. I was hugely struck by the similarites. It's like the link between the Da Vinci Code and the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. Having recently read Destiny of Souls, I was very struck by the strong similarities between it and The Host.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Others”