Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Looking for Authors

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Looking for Authors

Post by Rowan » Tue September 20th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Anyone know of any good female UK mystery writers? I had the name of an author whose setting is predominantly Scotland, but I don't remember who it was. :( :(

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue September 20th, 2011, 4:24 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Anyone know of any good female UK mystery writers? I had the name of an author whose setting is predominantly Scotland, but I don't remember who it was. :( :( [/quote]

She's not the one you're looking for, but I love P.D. James's novels.

Is it M. C. Beaton you're thinking of, maybe?

http://www.agatharaisin.com/?section=hamish_macbeth
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue September 20th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Thanks! I don't think I'd even recognise the author I found before, but this looks good so I'll read 'em anyway. LOL

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue October 18th, 2011, 1:43 am

I remember watching an episode of the Bookshow and the writer Val McDermid made an appearance. I don't know if that's the author you are looking for as I don't read mysteries? But for some reason she came to mind?

Hope this helps

Bec :)

Manda Scott
Reader

Post by Manda Scott » Tue October 18th, 2011, 7:37 am

Val McDermid is a Scot, but her books are almost exclusively set in England.

Denise Mina is Scottish, lives in Scotland and all her books are set there - they are excellent.

My first four novels - all contemporary thrillers - were set in Scotland. (and I've just written a sequel to the last, No Good Deed, which was until then a stand-alone)

hth

Manda

Bestselling author of
Boudica: Dreaming. INTO THE FIRE out in June 2015: Forget what you thought you knew, this changes everything.

[url=http:www.mandascott.co.uk]http:www.mandascott.co.uk[/url]

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue October 18th, 2011, 9:10 am

Did you mean Ann Cleeves? I've read the first in her Shetland Quartet, Raven Black, and really enjoyed it.

Or were you looking for something more historical?
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Tue October 18th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Some of the old classics, like Dorothy Sayers?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 11th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Denise Mina? She's one of the "tartan noir" school of crime writing, and has just been here in NZ for our International Arts Festival.

I've just been reading M C Beaton's Travelling Matchmaker series- gentle regency romances which have a distinctive charm and totally lack any bodice-ripper tendencies. I've read quite a few of her Hamish MacBeth mysteries (I think Beaton's still turning them out), and loved the TV series.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 11th, 2011, 8:43 pm

yup Hamish Macbeth is still going strong, and last year a set of 4 novels set in the Edwardian period were re-issued in the UK - I read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the Matchmaker series has also been re-issued here; and her Agatha Raisin novels are also still very popular.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Fri November 11th, 2011, 9:39 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]yup Hamish Macbeth is still going strong, and last year a set of 4 novels set in the Edwardian period were re-issued in the UK - I read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the Matchmaker series has also been re-issued here; and her Agatha Raisin novels are also still very popular.[/quote]

How did I miss the Matchmaker books?? Thanks so much! :D

Return to “Others”