Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Booth Tarkington

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Booth Tarkington

Post by Misfit » Sun July 10th, 2011, 1:32 pm

Not sure if he should be here or Classics but oh well ;)

I don't recall ever reading him, but stumbled on a few whilst browsing the Kindle freebies and picked a couple up,

The Magnificent Ambersons (which I now discover is a trilogy) so I also picked up free book one The Turmoil. The third book doesn't seem to be available in Kindle yet. This was made into film by Orson Wells, and I believe the book won a Pulitzer. I also snapped up Alice Adams for free, and there's quite a bit more of his work available on ebook format.

Read a bit of TMA last night and very much liked what I saw. Anyone else ever read him?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun July 10th, 2011, 1:43 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Not sure if he should be here or Classics but oh well ;)

I don't recall ever reading him, but stumbled on a few whilst browsing the Kindle freebies and picked a couple up,

The Magnificent Ambersons (which I now discover is a trilogy) so I also picked up free book one The Turmoil. The third book doesn't seem to be available in Kindle yet. This was made into film by Orson Wells, and I believe the book won a Pulitzer. I also snapped up Alice Adams for free, and there's quite a bit more of his work available on ebook format.

Read a bit of TMA last night and very much liked what I saw. Anyone else ever read him?[/quote]

Yes, I have came across him before I had the Kindle and downloaded PDFs from other sites. I didn't do the Ambersons because the setting is wrong for me but have read others which were OK -- I'm not sure I would count them as classics just not modern.

I think I might have mentioned Monsieur Beaucaire in an earlier post.
Last edited by SGM on Sun July 10th, 2011, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun July 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm

I read Alice Adams decades ago. I remember liking it, but not much more about it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun July 10th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Love The Magnificent Ambersons. Saw the Orson Welles film in college and immediately went out and read the book and have read the book a few times since then (the other books in the Growth trilogy were not available to me back then, so I haven't read them). I think there is an interesting story behind the film as well. Welles hated the cuts the studio made to it, as I understand, but it is well worth watching despite all that. A&E also ran a mini-series of it not quite ten years ago. I only watched a few minutes of it because I hated the casting (Jon Rhys Meyers as Georgie, for example).

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 10th, 2011, 2:25 pm

BTW, I found this on BT's wik page. The 1922 frontispiece for Gentle Julia. It looks rather familiar ;)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun July 10th, 2011, 8:46 pm

I've read The Magnificent Ambersons and enjoyed it.

Now when you say it's a trilogy does that mean it's three books rolled into one, or that there are two more books out there waiting for me to find them and give them a home? ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun July 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I've read The Magnificent Ambersons and enjoyed it.

Now when you say it's a trilogy does that mean it's three books rolled into one, or that there are two more books out there waiting for me to find them and give them a home? ;) [/quote]

You have two more books to find. Here's the trilogy info on Goodreads. I believe the original title of National Avenue is The Midlander. The first two can be had free on kindle.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun July 10th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Since the connection between the books in the trilogy is largely thematic, I wondered whether the other two stories would feel repetitive. I never hear people talk about the other books. I think TMA, Alice Adams, and Penrod are his best known works.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun July 10th, 2011, 11:25 pm

I saw the A&E version too. JRM was getting started in his career.

Return to “Others”