Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Interesting mix of HF and SF

fljustice
Bibliophile

Interesting mix of HF and SF

Post by fljustice » Fri April 29th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I didn't want to put this in the reviews section, because it wasn't strictly a HF book; and there wasn't a crossover thread, so I guess "others" covers it. I wouldn't have put it in this forum at all, but I know several people are also SF fans and thought they might be interested in this mixture.
Coalescent
By Stephen Baxter
From the back:

"When his father dies suddenly, George Poole stumbles onto a family secret; He has a twin sister he never knew existed, who was raised by an enigmatic cult called the Order. The Order is a hive--a human hive with a dominant queen--that has prospered below the streets of Rome for almost two millennia. After Poole enters the Order's vast underground city and meets the disturbing inhabitants, he uncovers evidence that they have embarked on a divergent evolutionary path. These genetically superior humans are equipped with the tools necessary to render modern Homo sapiens as extinct as the Neanderthal. And now they are preparing to leave their underground realm."

First of all, the back cover info is a trifle misleading, which is a shame because the real story is just as good and absorbing as the cover hype. The book weaves together three narratives: George Poole's first person mystery as he searches for his lost sister; the historical fiction 5th Century exploits of one of his ancestors, Regina, who lives through the fall of the Roman Empire in Britain, moves to Rome, and founds the Order; and the modern SF story of Lucia, one of the members of the Order. Of the three, I found George's story to be the weakest. He is basically a foil for introducing the other two and a stand-in for the reader; someone to whom things can be explained rather than an active agent. As the book progressed, I actually became a little impatient with the George story and always looked forward to the next installments of Regina and Lucia.

The book is a fascinating meld of science fiction and historical fiction. Baxter does a great job showing how the withdrawal of Rome from Britain resulted in the rapid decline of cities, withering of trade, decline of population and the loss of education and skills; in other words, the rapid onset of the Dark Ages in just a couple of generations. King Arthur makes an appearance--as two different characters that are frequently cited as sources for the legend--as well as Merlin. Baxter also does a credible job of creating the Order, giving it a sound basis in science and biology, and evolving it through 1500 years to the semblance of a hive. Although there is no dominant queen and they don't "plan" an invasion of the rest of earth, as trumpeted in the back matter. He also leaves a mysterious light in the ancient sky and a strange glowing artifact in the contemporary story unresolved. I'm assuming he'll address that in subsequent books.

I do have a nit to pick. Baxter has a penchant for punning names. In another book I reviewed, his rogue protagonist was Malenfant (bad child in French.) In this one, the founding mother of the Order is Regina (queen.) He also named some secondary characters after historical figures that lived in those times. The fictional ones had nothing to do with the historical characters, so I found it jarring whenever they appeared. There are plenty of names that don't carry any associations, which could have easily been used. Naming is a tricky thing and there is nothing wrong with using a name to reinforce a character, but if it pulls the reader out of the story, it's a distraction.

To summarize, I enjoyed the book. The writing is straight-forward, the characters interesting, the plot unique. Baxter is a deep thinker who sprinkles his narrative with discussions of social behavior, philosophy, morals, and science. I'd recommend this book to both the SF and HF communities.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 1:04 am

Thanks for the review, Faith. I haven't read the Destiny's Children series, though I did enjoy the Time's Tapestry quartet. Baxter has a penchant for playing with the concept of time as a field of many possibilities.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 1:27 pm

I absolutely loved his Time Ships, his 'sequel' to Well's Time Machine. Haven't read any of his other work, so thanks for this review, I'll have to check it out.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm

I've only tried his stand alone, Evolution, but have meant to read others by him. Evolution is told in a series of vignettes, imagining man's evolutionary path from our distant mammalian ancestors to modern man. Then the story imagines our de-evolution until the end of our planet. I liked the first half which dealt with our prehistory more than the de-evolutionary section. In the de-evolutionary section you'll find at least one vignette that was obviously influenced by The Time Machine.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 3:13 pm

I ended up with a couple of his books through Bookcrossing swaps, Manifold Time and Coalescent, but hadn't run across him before. I haven't been reading SF for several years. The Time Tapestry series does look interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, everyone!

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue May 3rd, 2011, 3:48 pm

I've been meaning to read Stephen Baxter. His output is prolific and they always look interesting books.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed May 4th, 2011, 2:45 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]I've been meaning to read Stephen Baxter. His output is prolific and they always look interesting books.[/quote]

I was surprised when I visited his site at how many books he's put out and he seems to be a relatively young guy. And these aren't puff pieces, the two books I read were long and dense.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed May 4th, 2011, 3:29 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]I was surprised when I visited his site at how many books he's put out and he seems to be a relatively young guy. And these aren't puff pieces, the two books I read were long and dense.[/quote]

Indeed. He reminds me of Dan Simmons. Again, someone I've never read but have wanted to and who puts out a lot of very interesting-sounding, long books.
Last edited by sweetpotatoboy on Thu May 5th, 2011, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed May 4th, 2011, 5:22 pm

I can see that comparison, SPB. Both Simmons and Baxter tend to write idea-driven stories. Baxter can be dry sometimes. I think he partnered with Arthur C. Clarke in writing at least one of his series so I've always thought of him as the literary successor to Clarke (wrongly or rightly, I don't know).

I had thought about reading The Light of Other Days, but had read some rather mixed reviews about it. It strikes me as the kind of SF we might actually be experiencing now with current technology rapidly approaching that point where privacy of any kind will fast be eradicated (and willingly given up by a vast segment of society). Sometimes I have to be in the mood for these type of stories, but they can also be rewarding if you're in the right mood for them.

roshthakur

Re: Interesting mix of HF and SF

Post by roshthakur » Mon July 30th, 2018, 5:41 am

Thanks for the awesome reviews its really helpful!

Return to “Others”