Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rocks in the Belly by Jon Bauer

CindyInOz
Reader

Rocks in the Belly by Jon Bauer

Post by CindyInOz » Mon November 22nd, 2010, 12:42 am

It is very rare for me to read non-HF books but this one came so highly recomended by a friend that I had to read it. Rocks in the Belly, the debut novel by British/Australian author Jon Bauer, has to be one of the most extraordinary, heart wrenching books I have ever read, one that will stay with me for many, many years to come. I absolutely devoured this book, it was such an emotional rollercoaster ride - one minute I'm in tears, the next I'm laughing out loud.

From the back of the book:
Written in two startlingly original voices, Rocks in the Belly is about the destruction we wreak on one another in the pursuit of our own happiness; how we never escape our upbringing; and a stark reminder that the most dangerous place for a child is within the family.

If anyone else here has read it, please, I'd love for you to post your thoughts. Of the 50 or so books I've read this year, this is the only non-HF book I've read, and I dare say this will be my number one pick for the year. Amazing, amazing book.

Return to “Others”