Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 30th, 2012, 6:05 pm

There's been debate about the rabid response to black characters in the movie. Can no longer relate to them now I know they're black?! Very bizarre and disturbing.
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/index.ph ... nwarranted

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed April 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Well that is just sad. I loved the movie and thought the casting was terrific. Especially Cinna. He was great. Exactly as I pictured!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:13 pm

[quote=""annis""]There's been debate about the rabid response to black characters in the movie. Can no longer relate to them now I know they're black?! Very bizarre and disturbing.
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/index.ph ... nwarranted[/quote]

That is sad and very disturbing. We saw the movie this weekend and I can't believe someone's movie watching experience was "ruined" by that beautiful little girl playing Rue.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:17 pm

I always assumed that Rue and Thresh were black. They were described as dark-skinned when they were first introduced, and they came from a district that was as clearly the South as district 12 was obviously Appalachia. How could the compaint-mongers not get that?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed April 4th, 2012, 5:46 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I always assumed that Rue and Thresh were black. They were described as dark-skinned when they were first introduced, and they came from a district that was as clearly the South as district 12 was obviously Appalachia. How could the compaint-mongers not get that?[/quote]

I remember them being described with dark skin in the book, but I also remember thinking they could be Hispanic or any ethnicity with darker (i.e., not fair) skin. I might have missed some other hint in the book that they were black. Can't remember now. Before they announced the cast for the movie, I remember reading some debates and many readers expressing that they would be disappointed if they did not cast black actors in those roles.

I did finally see the movie and thought it was a good adaptation of the book. They hit all the essentials and any changes were minor and made sense for the film.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 19th, 2012, 5:41 pm

The irony of it all- now we have the Katniss Barbie doll. Also disturbing to me because it seems to be targeting the pre-teen market, and as far as I'm concerned The Hunger Games are definitely YA, not childrens'.

DanielAWillis
Reader

Post by DanielAWillis » Thu April 19th, 2012, 8:13 pm

[quote=""annis""]The irony of it all- now we have the Katniss Barbie doll. Also disturbing to me because it seems to be targeting the pre-teen market, and as far as I'm concerned The Hunger Games are definitely YA, not childrens'.[/quote]

I'm not copmfortable with it being marketed to "young adults" either. But, maybe I have become and old fuddy-duddy!
Daniel A. Willis
Author: Chronicle of the Mages series
www.DanielAWillis.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 20th, 2012, 4:17 am

It's particularly the last book that I find a bit of a challenge to see as children's fare - the tone is so very bleak and nihilistic.

I have to say though, that I'm a bit conflicted about this. I believe in encouraging intellectual curiosity. As a kid I was a precocious reader and devoured absolutely anything in print that came my way, "suitable" or otherwise and to be honest I don't feel in anyway scarred by having done that. What happened was that I only took on board what my experience allowed me to comprehend, and later on when I re-read some of these books as an adult I saw things I just hadn't noticed earlier. In fact I think I must have been a bloodthirsty little soul, because when I read Rider Haggard's King Solomon's Mines to my own kids (aged then about 10-11), it totally freaked them out and I had to stop!

So on the whole I have to agree with the sentiments expressed in this very reasonable discussion about Mockingjay expressing the views of both adults and younger readers - it really depends on the child- how sensitive is he/she, how emotionally mature?

Is Mockingjay a children's book?
http://www.hogwartsprofessor.com/hunger ... rens-book/
Last edited by annis on Fri April 20th, 2012, 4:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri April 20th, 2012, 5:46 pm

I agree with what Annis said "...depends on the child-how sensitive is he/she, how emotionally mature?" because I work with teens and children daily and I know some who could benefit from the discussion that results from these books and others who would be freaked out. Although I enjoyed the first two books, I personally found the last very depressing. And I'm 36!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat April 21st, 2012, 12:51 am

[quote=""DanielAWillis""]I'm not copmfortable with it being marketed to "young adults" either. But, maybe I have become and old fuddy-duddy![/quote]

While I havent read the book, you should see some of the stuff that is in my library. I have a lot of sex and violence in it, and guess what books fly off the shelves.

Try reading Living Dead Girl about a girl who is kidnapped and raped and then told to go find a young girl cause she is too old(16) and the captor wants a young thing. My students love it!

Not all teens are into these books, of course. One girl I dealt with yesterday hates them. It was a challenge to find her something cause a lot of YA has it in there.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Others”