Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Wed March 16th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Oh, did she sell the movie rights? :( Not sure how I feel about that, as of course what Hollywood will do is dumb them down and cast someone like Miley Cyrus in the role. Forgive me if anyone likes her. ;) I shudder to think how awful they'll be. Well, one can hope. The LoTR movies were pretty damn good adaptations, after all.

I love dystopian fiction despite being terrified by it. The Dark Tower by Stephen King is probably my favorite book series of all time, which definitely fits that category.

Thanks for the feedback, Matt!
~Ashley

King Arthur Fan Fiction, maintainer

My writing can be found on my Live Journal, HERE.

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Thu March 17th, 2011, 6:01 pm

From what I've heard, Collins is writing the screenplay for the movie version, and Jennifer Lawrence (Oscar-nominated for Winter's Bone) and Hailee Steinfeld (likewise for True Grit) are the lead candidates to play Katniss.

If those things are true, the movie should be good.

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Thu March 17th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Well, that sounds very promising then. Thank you for keeping me in the loop :D
~Ashley

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Fri March 18th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Jennifer Lawrence it is.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-po ... 2?_r=true#

She will be good. I don't know if you saw Winter's Bone, but her role seems to have a lot in common with Katniss: independent, tough, hunter, survivor, fiercely protective of younger siblings, setting (Ozarks have a lot in common with the Appalachian setting of District 12).

Looks like the big screen might get this franchise right.

Ashley
Scribbler

Post by Ashley » Fri March 18th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I haven't seen that film, but at my local murder mystery bookstore they rave about it and the book. I'll have to now. I see that the same man who wrote "State of Play" (Russell Crowe film? I think) wrote the screen play. Also that kid Alex Pettyfir (he's in Beastly, which was awful, but he did a good acting job) is the frontrunner for Peeta. I love these books so much I will reserve judgment until I see them...but let's hope they're at least close to the story line.

I have a film production degree, and while I don't work in the industry anymore, I still care and still love movies, especially when they're adapted from books that I love. I appreciate you keeping me up to date! :D
~Ashley

Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Tue March 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Who's seen the movie yet?

I was pleased with it. Overall it lacked the same intensity of tension the novel has, but it was probably about as good of an adaptation that could be done of this book. Of course, that's with the proviso that the movie has to be PG-13. The violence was certainly sanitized.

Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic as Katniss. With facial expressions, actions, and limited dialogue, she captures the heart-rending emotional and physical whirlwind the character experiences and that Collins conveys in the novel mostly through interior monologue.

The movie portrays District 12, the Capitol, and the residents much as I envisioned. And I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes subplots the movie reveals involving President Snow and Seneca Crane that we don't see in the novel, since the novel is first-person from Katniss's POV.

But the cost of translating a very close, emotionally powerful POV into a multi-POV movie is losing layers and nuance. Rue's
And the movie doesn't quite achieve the level of suspense nor convey Katniss's degree of suspicion and guardedness on the question of whether
Finally there were a few other things that were minor in the book individually, but collectively amplified the reader's experience of vicarious terror, like

Definitely worth seeing, though, whether you've read the books or not.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed March 28th, 2012, 4:33 am

I saw the movie and thought the adaptation was excellent. What they couldn't put in Katniss' internal monologue, they showed with the behind-the-scenes shots and clips of former hunger games. Also liked how they had clips of Haymitch wheeling and dealing on her behalf.

The internal feelings that the medium lost were more than compensated for by the way a movie should show the game arena and what was happening behind the scenes.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu March 29th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Although dystopian is not my fave genre, I loved the first two books in the series and enjoyed the movie. The chick who played Katniss was great. Very believable. I like books better than movies bc of the aforementioned details such as internal goings-on, but they did a nice job with this one.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 30th, 2012, 1:46 am

Looking forward to seeing this- just have to find time to get to the movie theatre! I'm a bit slow - only just realised that Jennifer Lawrence was the actress who played Ree in Winter's Bone- she was outstanding in that.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 30th, 2012, 6:03 pm

There's been debate about the rabid response to black characters in the movie. Very bizarre and disturbing.
http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/index.ph ... nwarranted

Return to “Others”