Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 12:10 am

Finally starting this series at the request of a student who wants to read it with me. Not looking forward to it.

Is it any good? Or is it just popular?
Currently reading Cocaine Blues.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon April 22nd, 2013, 2:51 pm

[quote=""rockygirl""]Finally starting this series at the request of a student who wants to read it with me. Not looking forward to it.

Is it any good? Or is it just popular?[/quote]

I loved them on the whole and especially book 1. They're well written page turners IMO. I'd give them 5 stars overall.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Tue April 23rd, 2013, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the input!

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Mon May 6th, 2013, 12:42 am

I wasn't crazy about the series. I thought it put too low a value on human life. That being said, I agree that the books are page-turners.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri June 21st, 2013, 7:20 am

Finally got around to getting this series. It keeps getting recommended to me.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 15th, 2014, 3:05 pm

I'm about to start the first one of this series! I'm not big into YA fiction but am giving this a go. I enjoyed the Twilight books which I've read - not read all of them yet - so hopefully I will enjoy The Hunger a Games.
Last edited by Vanessa on Sat February 15th, 2014, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

red805
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: I like a series the best - more to look forward to after one book ends. Masters of Rome, The Century Trilogy, & the Outlander series are some of my favorites.

Post by red805 » Mon February 17th, 2014, 9:41 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm about to start the first one of this series! I'm not big into YA fiction but am giving this a go. I enjoyed the Twilight books which I've read - not read all of them yet - so hopefully I will enjoy The Hunger a Games.[/quote]

Funny you resurrected this thread Vanessa. I just met with one of my clients Saturday who was on the lighting crew for the second movie. I was telling him how much I liked the movies - especially the second one. I also tore through the books. I think the film adaptions have been among the best I've seen. I'm looking forward to the third film. I would love to see Suzanne Collins write an adult book series too.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 18th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Just finished the first book and found it very much a page turner. Entertaining stuff and quite dark, too. I haven't seen the film but can imagine its action packed and well worth the watch.

A sort of gladiators meets Lara Croft meets computer games!
Last edited by Vanessa on Tue February 18th, 2014, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Others”