Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jodi Picoult

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Jodi Picoult

Post by LCW » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 1:04 am

I've seen this author all over the place and know of few of you on here read her sometimes. Today I bought Harvesting the Heart: A Novel and was wondering if any of you have read it and what you think of the author.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:50 am

I've only read one Jodi Picoult book and that was My Sister's Keeper. I spoiled myself for the ending, and found it a bit of a cop out in a way, but it was certainly an emotional read. One day I will read more. One day.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:57 am

I've read a few by this author - Salem Falls, Keeping Faith, Second Glance and The Pact spring to mind. My favourite is Second Glance - it seemed a little different to the others, quite a ghost story! I think they're all very readable books.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:19 pm

I've read Salem Falls, The Pact, Keeping Faith, Plain Truth, Vanishing Acts and Mercy.
They are addictive. She writes very well. However, somewhat like Janet Evanovich with Stephanie Plum, be prepared for more of the same. Several novels that I've read are exactly the same story told over with different characters. I'd give them all high marks for the strength of the writing, but the development of the novel structure is samey. And yes, I'll still read more of them!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 8:20 pm

P.s. Anyone know if Jodie Picoult is psychic? A lot of her novels have other worldly twists.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 9:29 pm

I'd forgotten Plain Truth, that would be my second favourite. I felt I learnt quite a bit about the Amish way of life through reading this. I didn't know much about it all before.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Judith
Scribbler

Post by Judith » Wed September 10th, 2008, 12:50 am

[quote=""1lila1""]I've seen this author all over the place and know of few of you on here read her sometimes. Today I bought Harvesting the Heart: A Novel and was wondering if any of you have read it and what you think of the author.[/quote]

I've read that one, quite a while ago. But what I remember it was good. Some of her early books are better than some of her recent ones. But most of them are a good read. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed September 10th, 2008, 2:37 am

I read the Pact. It was eh. I wanted to read Plain truth only cause I find the Amish so interesting. Mostly all of her novels follow the same formula and people who have read them all are getting a little sick of em.

something happens. Court case. Twist at the end. Thats how they all are.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed September 10th, 2008, 4:29 am

[quote=""Divia""]. Mostly all of her novels follow the same formula and people who have read them all are getting a little sick of em. something happens. Court case. Twist at the end. Thats how they all are.[/quote]

Yep. I read one of her books, the one about the archaelogist who falls in love with a Hollywood star. Oh please. Aside from the writing being horrible, the plot was ridiculous and yes, very formulic (sp) . She also has 'issues' and likes to hit the reader over the hammer about them many times in the book. I know many people like her, but she's just so not for me.

She doesn't write HF, does she?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Wed September 10th, 2008, 7:14 am

The book which irritated me was The Pact. I thought the plot was a little unreal. I do enjoy JP's books, but if I read them one after the other, they would start to feel slightly 'samey'. I feel it's best to leave a big gap between reading them.

Return to “Others”