Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jodi Picoult

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 25th, 2009, 8:16 pm

[quote=""tsjmom""]I know she's hugely popular, but I can't read her books. The topics are too depressing. [/quote]

That's exactly why I've never read any of them - I always pick them up, look at the blurb and think "no" even though a friend of mine raves about them and is always trying to persuade me to give them a try. I might if she ever does one about an issue I want to read about.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 17th, 2010, 10:53 am

I've just finished My Sister's Keeper and it was very sad. I very much enjoyed it but JP's books do tend to get very 'samey'. I'm sure I've read the storyline before about the two attorneys having had an affair years before, being left broken-hearted and then meeting up again in a court case. I definitely had a sense of deja vu. Anyway, it will probably be another year until I read another of JP's books. Famous last words!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed February 17th, 2010, 12:23 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I've just finished My Sister's Keeper and it was very sad. I very much enjoyed it but JP's books do tend to get very 'samey'. I'm sure I've read the storyline before about the two attorneys having had an affair years before, being left broken-hearted and then meeting up again in a court case. I definitely had a sense of deja vu. Anyway, it will probably be another year until I read another of JP's books. Famous last words![/quote]

I have exactly the same reaction as you Vanessa. I do enjoy her books but they are very samey and some have almost exactly the same plots. Looking at my review of Salem Falls I wrote: 'This is the third Jodie Picoult that I've read. Like the other two it was a satisfying page turner. Like the other two it follows the same plot. Man done wrong gets jailed. His experiences and survival in jail. The love of a redeeming woman. The court case plus cliffhanger. Amibiguities.'

I can't remember what the others were, but I suspect The Pact and Vanishing Acts. I recently read Perfect Match, which was enjoyable in an adequate if not stellar way.

I'm reading my first Peter James novel at the moment - Dead Simple, and really enjoying it as the element of gritty crime fiction in my reading spectrum.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 17th, 2010, 8:25 pm

I haven't bought any of JP's last books as I think her topics are beginning to sound like a bit like the Jerry Springer show eg the one where someone needs a heart transplant, and the only suitable donor is the guy who's on Death Row for killing one of her relatives (was it her mother?). They're becoming a bit too sensationalist for me, although I have some of her older books on mount tbr.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Others”