Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed February 4th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Can't say I like any of the above writers, but glass houses come to mind. Stephen King had one or two alright-ish ideas, entirely let down by the absence of skill or style. Intimacy and sex are not necessarily the same thing even if Stephen King might not be able to tell the two apart.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat March 21st, 2009, 1:34 am

my niece has read and re-read the twilight saga and has begged me to read it with her but I can't get passed the whole teenage vampire/werewolf love triangle :confused: . To me Anne Rice will always be my vamp queen if you know what I mean, I loved her Vampire Chronicles and have each and everyone of them, the character were so complex and you fell in love or hated them. So I'm one sided for now but who knows I might read them yet.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat April 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

OK, I'm in the middle of New Moon and I'm sitting here wondering where the heck Edward is?? He was in the first dozen pages and then dissapears! I am liking the whole Jacob storyline but I wanted more of Bella and Edward. WTH?? :mad:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat April 11th, 2009, 3:36 pm

[quote=""LCW""]OK, I'm in the middle of New Moon and I'm sitting here wondering where the heck Edward is?? He was in the first dozen pages and then dissapears! I am liking the whole Jacob storyline but I wanted more of Bella and Edward. WTH?? :mad: [/quote]

That was why I partly went off the Outlander books - when the focus got taken off Jamie & Claire. I had a reader hissy fit - LOL!
I haven't read New Moon yet, but I think, knowing myself, I'll probably have the same reaction!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat April 11th, 2009, 4:03 pm

:D Reader hissy fit. I like it. I have those every once in a while. :(
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat April 11th, 2009, 4:37 pm

[quote=""LCW""]OK, I'm in the middle of New Moon and I'm sitting here wondering where the heck Edward is?? He was in the first dozen pages and then dissapears![/quote]
Patience! He'll be back - Ed's the man! At least Jacob is more interesting at this point than boo-hoo-breaking-down-Bella. Now that phase was annoying! But she is a teen .... and they must have their angst.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat April 11th, 2009, 6:55 pm

New Moon doesn't focus on Edward but our much loved vamp shows up don't worry.

I'm reading Breaking Dawn now......my oh my I had no idea it could happen

cookie
Scribbler

Post by cookie » Sat April 11th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Actually I was only thinking yesterday that I must read New Moon before the movie comes out (November apparently).. so I'll start this as soon as I can.
Although there are other books I'd prefer to read :)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat April 11th, 2009, 10:24 pm

OK, I finished it a few hours ago. Can you tell what I've been doing all day, lol?? I ended up really liking it. Now I feel bad for poor Jacob. I'll take him if Bella doesn't want him anymore :p ! I just hope the next book doesn't turn him into a mean vengeful warewolf who's pissed because Bella is now with Edward again.

And yes, Bella when in full on teenage angst mode was slightly annoying but I wonder if I was reading it as a teenager I would feel the same way. I asked my 17 yr old sister and she was like, "What??? Bella is the coolest ever!!!" :D

Now I just have to wait until Monday when my other sister gets back in town so I can get the last two books from her. If I had them here now I'd dive right in!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 11th, 2009, 10:38 pm

LOL! Glad to see I'm not alone -- for years, I poked fun at the "teenage vampire books", only to find myself reading them one after the other, disbelief completely suspended. Only weeks after finishing them did I find my critical faculties back, shaking my head because the biology definitely would not have worked, noticing the holes in the plot...

The DIL is reading them now, it gives us something to talk about besides diapers. So my hat's off to Stephanie Meyers. In the end, reading novels is about fun.

Return to “Others”