Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu July 16th, 2009, 9:07 pm

I really enjoyed the first book, thought the second book was pretty good (I really like Jacob!) but yes, totally agree about the fourth book!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun July 26th, 2009, 4:23 am

It has been announced that there is now going to be a manga/comic version of Twilight coming out soon. It's a very popular step in publishing these days.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Where there's a hit, there's a writ

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 2nd, 2009, 1:37 pm

While reading about the WH controversy I came across this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books

So author Jordan Scott thinks SM plagiarised her book. I never got to Breaking Dawn - the recaps at http://cleolinda.livejournal.com/630150.html were more than enough for me. But the similarities between the Scott book and Twilight, which her lawyer claims prove SM plagiarised her, are just laughable:

Among these are that both books include an after-wedding sex scene on a beach, that both contain a scene about a woman who is sick because she's pregnant with a child with evil powers, that both feature a scene in which the pregnant wife is dying, that both include a scene in which the main character sees their baby for the first time, and that both see the main character turn into a vampire. Scott also points out that in both books the main character refers to his wife as "love".

Pregnant with a child with evil powers...Rosemary's Baby, anyone? And I can think of a few other books where 'the main character sees their baby for the first time' - a few hundred, probably.

Curiosity Shoppe
Scribbler

Post by Curiosity Shoppe » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 3:23 pm

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Scott also points out that in both books the main character refers to his wife as "love".[/quote]

LULZ

Seriously? No, seriously?

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

[quote=""Curiosity Shoppe""]LULZ

Seriously? No, seriously?[/quote]

Seriously. Here

http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/04/twilight- ... ire-story/

is the original story from TMZ with a link to a pdf of a letter from Jordan Scott's lawyers detailing the alleged similarities between her book and Breaking Dawn.

The woman must be nuts, and she's going to waste a fortune on lawyer fees. There is really very little similarity, apart from a few cliches to be found in probably every wedding night/pregnancy/birth scene ever written.

Lulz indeed.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 3rd, 2010, 2:13 pm

I've just finished New Moon and found it very entertaining! I did miss Edward in the middle, though. Glad he's back. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to seeing the film now when it comes out on DVD, which I believe is in March.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Breaking News! :)

Post by Divia » Wed March 31st, 2010, 1:00 am

Ms Meyer will be publishing a NEW book come June 5. It is called: "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" and will be a novella. Even more exciting is that people will be able to read the story for FREE from June 7 at noon and until July 5, the entire story will be available at http://www.breetanner.com
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Post by Misfit » Wed October 7th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Bumping an old thread. Have you all heard that Meyers seems to have taken a page form EL James and has included with the ten year edition of Twilight, a reimagined version with gender swap?

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed October 7th, 2015, 11:46 pm

I had fun with Twilight. It entertained me through a bad winter cold. We dissected it in a writing seminar. But I've never felt like re-reading it again.

This is like Hollywood coming out with endless sequels, remakes, and derivative stories. I can't imagine why Meyer doesn't do something new instead.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 8th, 2015, 8:55 am

The girls at work were talking about this yesterday - has the author run out of ideas? I enjoyed the first 2 books, started to get bored with the 3rd and renamed the last one "Breaking Yawn".... :rolleyes:
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Return to “Others”