Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 18th, 2009, 8:43 am

[quote=""EC2""] I think it definitely catches those first feelings of adolescent yearning in a very powerful way, and that is part of its success.[/quote]

I've just finished Twilight and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's very easy to read. I agree with EC's comment - I can see the appeal to young teenage girls. Edward is a 'bad' boy but such a hero, too! It's not literary - I don't think it's supposed to be - it's just a jolly good fun read! I think the author achieves the chemistry between Edward and Bella so well without being sexually graphic. No bad language either and that's a plus!
Last edited by Vanessa on Mon May 18th, 2009, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue June 2nd, 2009, 5:15 pm

Found a review on GoodReads that you might find amusing. 70+ comments, you can read it here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri June 5th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Twilight doesn't really look like my kind of thing but I might succumb and read the first book at least out of sheer curiosity. It certainly has some loyal fans - my friend's 13 year old daughter has read the whole series four times and one of her friends has read it sixteen times.

I might borrow a copy, that way all is not lost if I am not enchanted.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri June 5th, 2009, 2:36 pm

I must say I was a huge Anne Rice fan as a teen, read them all at least a few times. I read Twilight and honestly it was ok but it went down hill after the first book, it's the best in my opinion, and don't get me started on Breaking Dawn.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri June 5th, 2009, 7:53 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Found a review on GoodReads that you might find amusing. 70+ comments, you can read it here.[/quote]

OMG, that just made my day! Hilarious! And so perfect for a Twilight book! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Sun June 28th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Came late to this thread but just forced myself to finish reading the first Twilight book for a book club and all I have to say is yick. I could not get into it or find anything I liked about it. I went online to find reviews of the others thinking maybe they'd be better...everything I read really turned me off from even considering reading the other 3. I really don't see the draw to these books but to each his own, I suppose. :)

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Edward vs Buffy

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat July 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Had to share this - Edward Cullen meets Buffy Summers. Probably more for non-Twilight fans as Edward comes off worse, but I thought it was really clever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyCot4ORdOA

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat July 4th, 2009, 11:49 pm

lol, he did an awesome job editing it to look some what realistic.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun July 5th, 2009, 12:22 am

That was fun Miss Moppet - thanks! :D
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Lady Macbeth
Scribbler

Post by Lady Macbeth » Thu July 16th, 2009, 8:20 pm

My teenage daughter loves these books so I had to have a read to see what the fuss was all about. Twilight is a good book - the story and characters are very compelling. It is an easy read but it's really not got the depth of the Harry Potter novels which I was kinda hoping for given that they're the biggest buzz in 'kids' novels since JK.

I found the lack of Edward in New Moon a bit of a drag and I really found him oppressive in Eclipse and, sadly, didn't enjoy Breaking Dawn.

BUT............I think the novels have really revived my daughter's interest in reading which had waned somewhat of late and she now devours everything in the supernatural romance genre.

Her favourite book besides these is Evermore by Alyson Noel, if anyone is looking for what next to read. :)

Return to “Others”