Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat April 11th, 2009, 11:03 pm

[quote=""MLE""] In the end, reading novels is about fun.[/quote]

I agree! I enjoyed the second novel even more than the first because I wasn't so critical. I found myself critiquing things more in the first rather than just chilling out and letting myself be lost in some brain candy for a while. I can't seem to let myself do that with HF but it's pretty easy to do with "fun" books like these, HR as well.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat April 11th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Thats the thing with YA books. So much angst. But ya have to look at it from a hormally, moody teenager. :D Although, to be fair, there are times even I can't suck it up and read something becuase its just too much.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sun April 12th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I'm not a fan of the "Vampire Fad Thing".....got my fill of it by reading the Ann Rice novels....AR will probably try to release them again with new Sexy covers and somebody famous to endorse them....Sorry about the rant.....BTW I can see "Interview with a Vampire" being re released"....Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt...Ye Gads.....
Last edited by chuck on Sun April 12th, 2009, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun April 12th, 2009, 5:00 pm

The vampire fad isnt going away either. It seems that a new type of novel is hitting the shelves. Though there is a zombie one and there are a few about ghosts. Urban Fantasy, as its called really seems to be hot right now.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun April 12th, 2009, 11:09 pm

I agree chuck I loved AR vampire chronicles and swore I'ld never read Meyers but I go sucked into watching the movie and well, curiousity got the better of me. Though must admitt the first is by far the best it's kinda down hill from there for me.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Boxed set available

Post by Misfit » Sat April 18th, 2009, 1:38 am

Saw thisat the book shelf at Costco today. Just under $45 in store.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat April 18th, 2009, 3:45 am

2560 pages - that's a lot of book!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat April 18th, 2009, 1:03 pm

it's four hardcover books, that is exactly what I bought from amazon for $32 however they have gone up in price since I bought mine thre-four weeks agao.

I finished Breaking Dawn the other night, good series. I was expecting the fall out vampire vs. vampire/shape shifter war and well it defused! c'mon, they can't be that big of cowards.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 18th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Well, you have to grant that the ending was a surprise!
In retrospect, Twilight was a fun read, but it doesn't hold up well. When I think back on it, I keep thinking that the biology just wouldn't work -- little stuff like, "How could you spend hundreds of years as a doctor lithout a normal temperature or a pulse? Wouldn't at least one of your colleagues have noticed, seeing that is so basic to their specialty?" Also, let's face it, this is, on average, a group of mass murderers. How do you get past that in the other vampires? "Oh hi, you're one of the good guys, just go kill a couple of states away." Why didn't they use donated blood? How hard would that have been? And completely non-lethal.
Had a hard time buying into the sudden self-willed stupidity of the father.
How come, if creating a vampire was so difficult for their self-restraint, Victoria seemed to have no problem with it?
What about the sudden switch from werewolves to shape shifters? If that was the case, and they were so unique, why did all the Cullens in book two know all about how volatile young werewolves were?
And lastly, "How romantic would it be to snuggle up to somebody who was cold and hard?"
And on and on.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat April 18th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I must say I didn't like the wolves either, I trudged through those parts. Twilight was the best and it went down hill from there kinda like PG's books. I predicted the end maybe not as detailed but in general and I hate being able to predict the end of a book or series. She left it as if there might be more...what do you think?

Return to “Others”