Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anita Shreve

Veronica
Avid Reader

Anita Shreve

Post by Veronica » Thu July 30th, 2009, 12:44 am

I can not figure out why A Shreve is such a best seller! I read two of her books (always try to give authors a second chance just in case it was that particular book I didn't like) but still can't figure it out. :confused:
Only reason I could come up with to her popularity is that her writing his different. Anyone agree/disagree? :o
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu July 30th, 2009, 2:21 am

Pilots Wife was the only book I've read and finished - I really liked it, but it could have been the timing; there had been a major plane crash before it came out. I've tried her others, and just couldn't get into them

I didn't realize she is an HF writer - certainly thats not how the books I know read.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu July 30th, 2009, 2:31 am

Ah no she is not historical as far as I know. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu July 30th, 2009, 7:07 am

I've only read a couple of her books, both of which I enjoyed - Weight of Water and Light on Snow. Weight of Water is based on a true murder story and could be classed as sort of historical fiction.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

rockygirl
Avid Reader

Post by rockygirl » Thu September 9th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Her book, Resistance is HF. It takes place in France during the second World War.

I find her writing uneven. Some of her books are good. The Last Time They Met packed a huge emotional wallop, especially with its surprise ending. But some of her books seem to be written by another author. I wonder if it's the deadlines or if she works with different editors.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 9th, 2010, 11:59 pm

I missed this thread the first time around. I tried one, the name escapes me but it's a younger girl/much older married man romance kind of thing. The topic for me was rather distateful, but her writing style didn't help at all. I'll not try another.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri September 10th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Anita Shreve, whom I met socially between her 3rd and 4th novels, was relatively unknown at the time, especially outside the Northeast. At a signing in Marin County only three showed up -- the daughter of an aquaintance and her two friends. Then Oprah discovered The Pilot's Wife. She had Anita on her show and the rest is best-seller history. That she is atttractive did not hurt.

Anita did her damnedest to get my novel Rocamora published back in the mid 1990s but did not succeed because she switched publishers and her new editor was not interested in "first novel" big historicals. Her former editor also tried but received the same reaction at her new/different publishing house. A turning point in my writing life that failed to turn.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Others”