Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Robin Mckinley retelling of fairy tales

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue March 22nd, 2011, 6:13 pm

I've read The Goose Girl, and enjoyed it (but haven't read Hale's other related books). She turned that story into a series (Books of Bayern) where other characters get their own story.

I've also enjoyed two or three of McKinley's. I tend to like the darker tales, so Deerskin is my favorite so far.

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Tue March 22nd, 2011, 7:30 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I've read The Goose Girl, and enjoyed it (but haven't read Hale's other related books). She turned that story into a series (Books of Bayern) where other characters get their own story.

I've also enjoyed two or three of McKinley's. I tend to like the darker tales, so Deerskin is my favorite so far.[/quote]

I've read Enna Burning, but it was not that good. But i enjoyed her The Book of Thousand Days - it's set in medieval Mongolia-like country. Though The Goose Girl is still my favourite.

And Deerskin is certainly next on my reading list!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue March 22nd, 2011, 7:44 pm

Speaking of fairy tale retellings, have you read Ekaterina Sedia's The Secret History of Moscow? It would be interesting to know what someone from Russia would think of Sedia's use of myth and fairy tales in that one.

Sintra
Reader

Post by Sintra » Tue March 22nd, 2011, 8:14 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Speaking of fairy tale retellings, have you read Ekaterina Sedia's The Secret History of Moscow? It would be interesting to know what someone from Russia would think of Sedia's use of myth and fairy tales in that one.[/quote]
No, i haven't read it but thank you for the tip! The author was born in Russia though so i think she is familiar with the folklore.
And russian folklore is really interesting and original fairy tales are quite dark (well, all of them are).
I remember that when i was little i had a poster with Baba Yaga on it and it really scared me :)

Speaking of russian folklore, one of my friends read Dreaming Anastasia
by Joy Preble and she really liked it. It combines the story of a lost Romanov princess with some russian folk tales like Baba Yaga and her cabin on chicken legs.

Return to “Others”