Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sir George Martin

John Sliz
Reader

Sir George Martin

Post by John Sliz » Fri April 22nd, 2016, 7:39 pm

I am currently reading, "All You Need is Ears" by the late George Martin. It is just an honest account of his life in the music industry. Good read so far and I haven't even gotten to the part where he meets the Beatles yet.

John Sliz
Reader

Re: Sir George Martin

Post by John Sliz » Sat April 30th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Just to follow up on this very good book by saying that I never realized how much the recording industry developed in the 60s. It really was the golden age of modern recording.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat April 30th, 2016, 8:07 pm

My husband will be interested in this book. He's an amateur musician and he's followed the development of the recording industry--really a very recent development and a constantly changing one, since it was born out of new technology in the 1920s and has shifted as the means of consuming the media keeps morphing.
To think that only a century ago, if you wanted to hear somebody singing, you had to either travel to within a few hundred yards of the singer, or sing it yourself.

Sometimes I think we are the worse of for not singing more ourselves. In Wales, where singing is much more a part of the culture, almost everybody can carry a tune. I wonder how much longer that will last?

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Sun May 1st, 2016, 6:28 pm

He does get very technical at times about sound and how to best record it. I am pretty sure that I understood it all, but please don't ask me to repeat it. I am sure that your husband will enjoy it. I know I did.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun May 1st, 2016, 8:35 pm

I just bought it for him. Don't worry about the technical, in Jay's case, the more arcane, the better. He is the original Geek.

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”