Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the Wor

Susan
Bibliomaniac

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the Wor

Post by Susan » Sun June 1st, 2014, 3:21 pm

The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance that Changed the World by Greg King and Sue Woolmans (published 2013)

The 100th anniversary of the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian-Hungarian throne, and his wife is later this month (June 28), so it was appropriate to read this book. It is a book that is sympathetic to Franz Ferdinand and his morganatic wife Sophie and the authors back up their sympathy with evidence. Most interesting to me is the possibility of an Austrian conspiracy in the assassination. At the very least, there was great negligence in the lack of security for an heir to the throne's visit to Sarajevo and apparently there was no investigation of the lack of security afterward. The authors provide information (some of it heartbreaking) of what happened to the three children (aged 10, 12, 13) who were the first orphans of World War I.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue June 3rd, 2014, 7:12 pm

I want to read this this year. I have enough points earned with a survey site so I can use them to get the book. Just wish it was longer, trying to read more longer books this year.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”