Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Osprey: Byzantine Infantryman 900 - 1204 AD by Timothy Dawson

Gordopolis
Reader

Osprey: Byzantine Infantryman 900 - 1204 AD by Timothy Dawson

Post by Gordopolis » Mon September 19th, 2011, 10:11 am

A really nice, compact and fact-packed read this. Much like the other books in the Osprey series the text is interspersed with illustrations, diagrams and photographs of archaeological artefacts.

I demolished it in a couple of hours and my only complaint is that it could have been much longer. A lot more detail that I was interested in that was only briefly touched on.

A fine starting point for research though as it did put order to a lot of the otherwise 'fuzzy' detail of the era.

Greg
Reader

OMG Tim Dawson a published author!!

Post by Greg » Tue September 20th, 2011, 1:54 pm

Now that is perhaps the most amazing news, my old sparing partner Timmy Dawson has gotten a book published by Osprey. Several odd years ago we were exchanging sword blows and insults and now. Though I have to say that Tim has always been an astoundingly knowledgable Byzantinist and here in the Antipodes almost single handedly pushed the research and reconstruction archaeology of the Byzantine period. Sometimes to the wryly amused hoots of his friendly foes The Routiers, but always his effort and commitment was respected. It is great to see his work rewarded like this.
If anyone requires Byzantine information I cannot recommend Tim highly enough. Now Tim after that wonderful promo how about a free book?

Regards Greg
http://rednedtudormysteries.blogspot.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Liberties-London- ... 689&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Liberties-London- ... 689&sr=1-1[/URL]
Last edited by Greg on Tue September 20th, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue September 20th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Osprey is a wonderful source for military research. I have their Granada 1492 on my shelves and must have read it three times.

marklord
Scribbler

Post by marklord » Wed July 25th, 2012, 2:31 pm

I am always tempted by Osprey books, but I do wonder if they're not over-priced? £8 to £10 for a 40 to 60 page book is a bit off-putting I think?

I often think about buying a few, but then I decide not to based on the cost.
Editor of Alt Hist, the new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History.

Writer of Historical Fantasy, visit my site for more details.

Latest novels:
Hell has its Demons (Historical Fantasy)
By the Sword's Edge (Volume 1 of a serialized novel - Medieval Action and Adventure)

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Wed July 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I've always particularly admired Angus McBride, perhaps their best known illustrator. Wish I could paint like that. His output was prodigious.
Nunquam minus solus quam cum solus.

Author of Centurion's Daughter

Come visit my blog

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed July 25th, 2012, 7:42 pm

I have half a dozen Osprey books and think they're worth the price specifically because of the great illustrations. I have trouble visualizing descriptive armor and weapons. Agree Angus McBride's work is terrific. The text is basic.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Tue August 7th, 2012, 3:30 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]I have half a dozen Osprey books and think they're worth the price specifically because of the great illustrations. I have trouble visualizing descriptive armor and weapons. Agree Angus McBride's work is terrific. The text is basic.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. The Osprey books are very concise, but no more so than, say, a similarly priced lonely planet travel guide and the content is just as rich.
Chiefly though, as Faith mentions, the illustrations are very evocative, really bringing the plates and monochrome diagrams to life.

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”