Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chronicles of Byzantium?

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Mon May 9th, 2011, 11:41 pm

Wow - some cracking suggestions in there - that's my Amazon list creaking again :)

I have Treadgold as well, but find I can only read it as a dip in/dip out reference book, as it is so stat and fact heavy.

Seige looks awesome as well, it'll be on the kindle in a few minutes!

Cheers for the thoughts, guys. :cool:

Gordopolis

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue May 10th, 2011, 2:43 am

These are fiction rather than NF, but Michael Ennis' Byzantium is a historical novel in the grand romantic epic tradition, and gives a great picture of the city at the time of Empress Zoe. It's the story of 11th century Norse king, Harald Hardrada, focusing on the time he spent as a member of the Varangian Guard in Byzantium. And Tom Harper's Demetios Askiates trilogy tells the story of the First Crusade from a Byzantine POV- very good.

Then there's Richard Blake's bravura adventure set in 7th century Constantinople at the time of the Emperor Phocas, Terror of Constantinople.
Last edited by annis on Tue May 10th, 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Little
Reader

Post by Chris Little » Wed May 11th, 2011, 3:42 am

Perhaps Harold Lamb's 1952 "Theodora and the Emperor" might appeal

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 3:19 am

I see that CC Humphreys' novel about the Fall of Constantinople is now out - A Place called Armageddon. I have a copy on order, but it hasn't arrived as yet. It will be interesting to read after recently re-reading Mika Waltari's Dark Angel

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 7:36 am

"A Place Called Armageddon" looks immense!

My to be read shelf is going to explode at this rate!

It's a bit annoying though that the Kindle version is more expensive than the hardback or paperback :/

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”