Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pen & Sword Military

David Ross Erickson
Scribbler

Pen & Sword Military

Post by David Ross Erickson » Fri March 11th, 2011, 6:34 pm

I wonder if anyone here has ever tried any Pen & Sword military books. They look great, and their titles are phenomenal (Pyrrhus of Epirus, Tyrants of Syracuse, Wars of Alexanders Successors, vols 1 & 2). Wow! I feel like a kid in a candy store! However, the books are pretty pricey, are not available on Kindle and have no "Look Inside" option, which makes buying one sort of a crapshoot.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 3:44 pm

David, I know this is late, but just ordered a book from them and can let you know, when I get it, if it's useful. A couple of people on LibraryThing in the Ancient History group have read a few titles and approve. Did you indulge? If so, how did you find them?
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri December 2nd, 2011, 10:24 pm

I read fairly recently Cavalier and Roundhead Spies (NF) from this publisher. Rather irritatingly the British Library don't have it and I am not sure if this is because they don't automatically supply the BL with their publications or for some other reason.

Luckily I found it in one of the City libraries -- because I certainly wasn't going to buy it. The book was fine and suited my purposes.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Tue December 13th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Only just seen this post, David.

Pen and Sword books are invariably very good. Sometimes they lack a bit of eiditing, but the several that I own have all been well worth the money, especially The Gods of Battle by Chris Webber, about the Thracians.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Rhunt
Scribbler

Post by Rhunt » Sat May 26th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Interesting ... so Osprey has some competition? Being a military history buff, I'll have to check them out.

You do mention editing problems, though. Is this editing problems as in "typos" (which I don't care about) or editing problems as in amateurish, informal writing that's better suited to a high school paper than a serious history book (which I would take except to)?

Thanks on all counts! :D
Rhian Hunt

Now Available: The Six Expressions of Death A murder mystery set in 16th century Japan.
Coming Late 2012: Man of the Bow and Spear Continuation of the series.

The Six Expressions of Death

Rhunt
Scribbler

Post by Rhunt » Sun May 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Ah, I see they're not really a competitor to Osprey after all. They've got that "the only military history is British military history" approach -- the entire sum of medieval warfare was apparently Agincourt and the Wars of the Roses, for example.

A pity, I had high hopes briefly.
Rhian Hunt

Now Available: The Six Expressions of Death A murder mystery set in 16th century Japan.
Coming Late 2012: Man of the Bow and Spear Continuation of the series.

The Six Expressions of Death

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon May 28th, 2012, 3:27 pm

[quote=""Rhunt""]Ah, I see they're not really a competitor to Osprey after all. They've got that "the only military history is British military history" approach -- the entire sum of medieval warfare was apparently Agincourt and the Wars of the Roses, for example.

A pity, I had high hopes briefly.[/quote]

Actually the book I have of their's is Stilicho: the Vandal Who Saved Rome and am eagerly awaiting Aetius: Attila's Nemesis to become available in the US. So they do have some other titles outside British history. I love Osprey books for their brevity, clarity and gorgeous illustrations. P&S seems to have more academic works.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed May 30th, 2012, 4:57 pm

[quote=""Rhunt""]Ah, I see they're not really a competitor to Osprey after all. They've got that "the only military history is British military history" approach -- the entire sum of medieval warfare was apparently Agincourt and the Wars of the Roses, for example.

A pity, I had high hopes briefly.[/quote]

That's a little harsh. Their main focus is on British history, that's true, but they have many many other titles about other topics, such as the Thracian text I mentioned and the ones mentioned by fljustice. There are also titles about German soldiers and generals, and great leaders of antiquity etc.

Importantly, where they differ - and are way better than Osprey titles in this respect - is that the texts are in depth, detailed examinations of leaders/peoples/wars. For example, Chris Webber's Osprey book on the Thracians is a good read - but it's 48 pages in length. His P & S book on exactly the same subject is nearly 300 pages in length. I don't need to explain the maths there. His P & S Thracian text is infinitely superior to his Osprey one.

Osprey books are great, don't get me wrong, but they are rarely more than a taster of a subject. The Osprey titles (both those to do with Britishers and nonBritishers) give the reader much more.
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Gordopolis
Reader

Post by Gordopolis » Tue June 12th, 2012, 11:36 am

[quote=""fljustice""]Actually the book I have of their's is Stilicho: the Vandal Who Saved Rome and am eagerly awaiting Aetius: Attila's Nemesis to become available in the US. So they do have some other titles outside British history. I love Osprey books for their brevity, clarity and gorgeous illustrations. P&S seems to have more academic works.[/quote]

The Stilicho book looks excellent. I really want to clear some time to read this as I feel it could seed a few ideas!

John Sliz
Reader

Post by John Sliz » Thu April 11th, 2013, 2:21 pm

[quote=""David Ross Erickson""]I wonder if anyone here has ever tried any Pen & Sword military books. They look great, and their titles are phenomenal (Pyrrhus of Epirus, Tyrants of Syracuse, Wars of Alexanders Successors, vols 1 & 2). Wow! I feel like a kid in a candy store! However, the books are pretty pricey, are not available on Kindle and have no "Look Inside" option, which makes buying one sort of a crapshoot.[/quote]

I have a large number of their WWII titles in my collection. I consider these more picture histories. The maps are usually well done.

Return to “Historical Nonfiction/Biography”