Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are your favorite 19C books?

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed August 27th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Anything by George Eliot--one of my all-time favorite authors!

Stendhal--The Red and the Black and The Charterhouse of Parma

Zola--Germinal

Flaubert--Madame Bovary, Salammbo

Anything by Thomas Hardy, especially Tess and The Mayor of Castorbridge

Thackeray--Vanity Fair

Henry James--The Ambassadors, Portrait of a Lady

Walter Scott--Ivanhoe

I shouldn't admit it, but I never really could get into Jane Austen.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Cuchulainn
Reader

Post by Cuchulainn » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:25 am

I won't try to list all my favourites, but for certain Dostoevsky's Brother's Karamazov and Crime and Punishment are in the top five: two of the finest novels ever written, any time, any place.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Post by Catherine Delors » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Persuasion: second chances do happen, even in love.
Mansfield Park: an understated, intellectual heroine, the ultimate outsider, both at MP and in her birth family. She sees through all the fancy appearances, and can say nothing. A frightening situation for someone so young. Oh, yes, I am a fan of Fanny Price and the wonderfully diverse cast of characters.

Julianne: how could I forget Stendhal?

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:09 pm

Shame on you, Catherine! :)

And seeing how much you love Austen, I'll have to give her another try.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri August 29th, 2008, 5:09 am

Jane Eyre. I've reread that so many times.

The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment have been mentioned, for good reason. But I think my favorite Dostoyevsky is The Idiot.

I wish Dickens weren't still so relevant, but I fear he is. Bleak House and A Tale of Two Cities are my favorites.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Thomas Hardy yet. He and Jane Austen were both masters of plot and pacing.

The antique language in these novels tends to slow down modern readers, but all these novels are literary novels of ideas and character and well-plotted, briskly paced page-turners: a good thing for today's authors and (especially) publishers to consider. There seems to be a pre-conception floating around that novels are either literary (and therefore kind of boring) or genre (and therefore not worth the attention of intelligent people), but never both. All my favorite novels are both literary novels full of important ideas and well-plotted, exciting stories.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri August 29th, 2008, 11:17 am

My favourite 19th century author is Anthony Trollope and I've read many of his 40-odd novels. He was just a natural born storyteller, creating memorable characters and believable dialogue. One always knows that the novel is going to end happily but how we get there and what the characters learn about life and themselves in the process is what keeps us engaged.

I've also very much enjoyed the Thackeray novels I've read and his 'History of Henry Esmond' (set in the reign of Queen Anne) is one of the best historical novels of all time and is now thankfully back in print, though its sequel 'The Virginians' shamefully isn't.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri August 29th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are a couple of my favourite books. I really like the Brontes' style of writing. And Wuthering Heights is very atmospheric, very dark, too.

Catherine Delors
Avid Reader

Sweetpotatoboy

Post by Catherine Delors » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:48 pm

I am a fan of Henry Esmond too...

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sun August 31st, 2008, 8:17 pm

Oh goodness, where do I start?

Elizabeth Gaskell -- Wives and Daughters and Cranford Chronicles.

Jane Austen (of course)

Henry James -- The Wings of the Dove and The Golden Bowl. Didn't much care for Portrait of a Lady, but I might give it a second try.

Charlotte Bronte -- Jane Eyre

Tolstoy -- Anna Karenina

Pushkin and Lermontov

Juniper
Scribbler
Interest in HF: I studied English Literature and History at college. Historical fiction blends my two passions together in one neat package.

Post by Juniper » Wed September 3rd, 2008, 4:00 am

Jane Eyre (I much prefered Jane Eyre to Wuthering Heights).

I'm a huge Austen fan. Persuasion is my favourite, closely followed by Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park. I do love Northanger Abbey, though. Oh I just love them all!

Return to “Classics”