Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Brothers Karamazov

SuzyQ
Scribbler

The Brothers Karamazov

Post by SuzyQ » Tue March 27th, 2012, 3:26 am

I've finally started reading The Brothers Karamazov, the first Russian novel I've read since I minored in Russian in college over 8 years ago. I haven't gotten very far yet, but the epic descriptions of the family members' background reminds me very much of East of Eden. There's also a lot of interesting themes so far. Has anyone who has read the book have an opinion about what the main themes are and what Dostoevsky is trying to say?
Currently reading A Celt in Rome

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue March 27th, 2012, 4:20 am

It has been a looong time. Mostly I remember that the older brother was a world-class jerk, Ivan was the one who didn't believe in forgiveness, and Alexei was a little too good to be true.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 28th, 2012, 3:10 am

It's a very long time since I read this, but as I recall the major themes are about free will, moral responsibility and the conflict between religious faith and doubt. I'd have to re-read it to explore that further and don't think that's likely to happen any time soon :) You have more patience for the classics when you're younger, I think.

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Sun April 8th, 2012, 5:22 am

I have tried and tried to read this one, but I just don't like it. I like Crime & Punishment, Notes From the Underground, and The one set in the Gulag, but I just can't get into that one.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Return to “Classics”